Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best email for filtering out spam ??

Jenny105
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

My present main email has been in use for about 20years.  Hotmail.com.   

Recently Ive had increased spam , freezing ,  important emails placed in the delete box without ever appearing in my inbox. The last straw was this am when an email mentioned the death of a friend. According to its properties it was spam.

So - is there a free email that has good filtering, is well protected,  allows personal filters and has a good record, along with customer service (- not telephone service.)

Or a low cost provider.

Thanks

Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

☺ yes @MI5 I agree and as I said horses for courses.

But as I think even the most ardent Apple fanpeople would agree Apple are a lot more proscriptive and enclosed than everyone else; for example you can't (easily) send or receive bluetooth files even inside the Apple ecosystem, and certainly not across the iron curtain separating Apple from the rest of the world.

Which I completely get, for security and revenue protection and the cachet it imbues to the Apple chosen, but it has the unintended consequence of making applications which even Apple grudgingly accept are requiste like Gmail not work as well as they might. Which is not to say the don't work perfectly well, just that they could work better.

Message 21 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jenny105

Years ago (back in the days of dial-up internet where you paid a monthly fee in exchange for access to an 0800 dial-up number) I used to switch quite a bit to get the best deal which meant I would lose my ISP e-mail.

In the end I decided to register my own domain name so I could either forward mail to another address or use it with a hosted mail solution but this also meant I could move it between mail hosts.

The best solution I have found to spam is to use a provider that implements a technique known as greylisting (technical explaination here https://www.greylisting.org/)

I have found this to be very effective.

The company I have used for the past few years is called Netcetera who are based on the Isle Of Man, the mail service costs £10 a year (plus your domain reg or you can point an existing one to them) and the support is excellent.

Message 22 of 27

Jenny105
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions
I do have a gmail for my smart phone. I don't know if its really needed. And I do have Whats App. Family persuaded me as its great for keeping in touch without having to use phone. So I'm hypocrite but I try to keep Google to minimum. I'm always thinking of what our country could do with their full tax payment (as I understand it)
Message 23 of 27

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

In the end I decided to register my own domain name so I could either forward mail to another address or use it with a hosted mail solution but this also meant I could move it between mail hosts.

Best solution is exactly that: register your own domain and bear the cost. I've had the lot (and still have them): hotmail, yahoo, gmail and they are all getting worse for spam and spam identification where I'm now forced to check the spam folder just in case. Yet in the last couple of years of having my own domain, only 1 single spam message came through but turns out I'd ticked a box when testing something. I tend to create various email addresses and they all forward to a single one. Easily identify who's been selling on info...

Why these companies think I want to change my email viewing habits is another reason to get shot of them as another update tends to bring more annoyances in trying to read emails quickly. I really detest the way gmail deals with replying to an email via the webpage yet the mobile app works as I want it. Oddly the standard email app on the iPhone only has one surprising ironic annoyance which Yahoo app does really well - you can't swipe to the previous or next message on the iphone email app!

Message 24 of 27

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

@jonsie wrote:

I mean seriously banks and lawyers have completely stopped using email  to communicate sensitive financial information. The banks just using it to notify the presence of a message in much more secure banking website document management. Lawyers are moving back to mail, telephone calls, paper cheques and face to face. How do you think they'd feel about WhatsApp?

I would suggest its more to do with the location of datacentres and local/EU/US laws for why there's a retraction in using email for any information as there is a storage element involved (look how google do backups and its by multiple datacentres not drives!).*  There is stronger protection in the EU than it is for the US yet guess where all the major datacentres are located and subject to US law. Don't forget if data crosses into the US its subject to their laws as well. And we know what the Americans are like for enforcing their laws on everyone when they feel like. Then there's this simmering argument of whether encryption should have a backdoor for governments. 

Besides, its easier to burn paper evidence yahoo

*Even in my company, the email server is hosted outside of the UK, the messager system has servers in at least three locations and even the VPN gateways are in different countries! Real fun when one VPN doesn't work and your access to the secure areas are denied because you're not actually in the UK according to the system!

Message 25 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sheepdog

To backdoor encryption would weaken it of course which means it's probably not worth having anyway and any tools that are developed to crack it (with the best of intentions of course) will no doubt find their way into the less savoury elements of society while those they are after either abandon the tech or fund development of stronger encryption.

But that's another thread.

Message 26 of 27

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35794 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1584 Solutions