Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best email for filtering out spam ??

Jenny105
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

My present main email has been in use for about 20years.  Hotmail.com.   

Recently Ive had increased spam , freezing ,  important emails placed in the delete box without ever appearing in my inbox. The last straw was this am when an email mentioned the death of a friend. According to its properties it was spam.

So - is there a free email that has good filtering, is well protected,  allows personal filters and has a good record, along with customer service (- not telephone service.)

Or a low cost provider.

Thanks

Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
Strangely I never have any problems with any programmes on any platform (and I use them all) but anyway, regarding WhatsApp, with end to end encryption enabled, it's just about as safe as you can get.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 11 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I suppose it's horses for courses but trying to run iTunes on Windows 2003 Server to load up a new iPod was fairly challenging. And trying to manage album art on iTunes on later Windows versions even worse.

Not that I think Windows is all that. Till 10, only W2K03 Server & XP 2  were worth a candle. 🎂

And on balance I like to be able to decide how to configure and set up my kit, how I like; and if I want to use stuff from outside the ecosystem then that's up to me. In the words of the latest Android slogan :

Be Together, Not the Same!

Message 12 of 27

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

I had to change to Gmail when emails from this forum seemed to have a problem with my btinternet address.

On my phone I have Gmail and Bt internet emails coming in, both without spam.

On my Windows PC, running Firefox,  I have Outlook with 2 accounts one for Gmail and the other for Btinternet Again, all without spam.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 13 of 27

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35802 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1584 Solutions

Tesco.net are closing their free e-mail, so that leaves me with, guess what? Gmail.  Unlike the others above, not on an iPhone though. yahoo

Message 14 of 27

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

I'm not on an iPhone either.....nauseated_face lol

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 15 of 27

jonsie
  • 93188 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Gmail all the way for me and I'm at a loss as to why WhatsApp with end to end encryption could in any way seem unsafe. Unless you are thinking about the Facebook connection?

Message 16 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie wrote:

Gmail all the way for me and I'm at a loss as to why WhatsApp with end to end encryption could in any way seem unsafe. Unless you are thinking about the Facebook connection?

I don't think WhatsApp are in the business of selling off people's data - but that's not why it's not secure.

It may well be un-hackable while messages are being transmitted but you have no way of knowing that the person or people at the other end are being as secure as you'd expect or worse have themselves been victims of phone cloning or id theft. This is worse if you post regularly to a whatsapp group.

Before we throw around 'as secure as it it gets' - let's ask a few questions.

Has the person you are chatting to set up phone encryption / fingerprint or pin password and 'find my phone' ?

Has the person you are chatting to set up two step verification for their number on WhatsApp to prevent it being used to set up a bogus WhatsApp account?

What is our relationship to WhatsApp - what redress do we have if they don't prevent someone from  impersonating a friend and causing us harm or damage?

If we feel that confident about the security of WhatsApp why don't we ask our banks to let us communicate with them through it?

I mean seriously banks and lawyers have completely stopped using email  to communicate sensitive financial information. The banks just using it to notify the presence of a message in much more secure banking website document management. Lawyers are moving back to mail, telephone calls, paper cheques and face to face. How do you think they'd feel about WhatsApp?

Message 17 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

It's free & does everything you'd want and lots you don't ; so can be a bit confusing at first, .......The systems in place for auto categorising, labeling + filtering ....

If Gmail is so bleeding wonderful why do the categorizations and labeling work perfectly on the Desktop view in Chrome,  but not in the Gmail apps? Why does one app version give you the option to move emails between categorizations but not another, and why the heck don't you have any indication anywhere on the email itself what categorizations Google has decided to assign .😬😬😬😬😬😬😬

Message 18 of 27

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
It all comes down to personal opinions and experiences.
Very often on here you will get many opposing opinions. It doesn't make one person right and another wrong as it's all down to the individual.
Different people want different things and the best way is to try stuff out and settle into what suits YOU best, which may not be the same for others.
Opinions divide and not one person or one thing is right or wrong.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 19 of 27

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

I can't understand all the negativity re Gmail.

I was forced to change to it 3 years ago because of mutiple problems I had with btinternet. 

It works perfectly on my PC and phone. Has never let me down (unlike BT which is a bit of a diva at times)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 20 of 27