Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Awakening Sleeping BEEuties

TallTrees
Level 50: Versatile
  • 11055 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 364 Solutions

hthttps://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Off-Topic/sleeping-BEEuties/m-p/1160526/highlight/true#M116627tps://...

From last year they were Sleeping Beeuties 2018 to

This year 2019  again these little kind and sweet bees have caught me unaware and when I opened

the sleeping box there were a few anxious looking faces!  So up went the boxes sharpish

and they were put on top to feel the fresh air and off they flew ~ they'll be back always

to the same spot they first remember.

These are the boxes facing South in the hot sun.  

WP_20190402_13_03_54_Pro (3).jpgWP_20190402_13_49_37_Pro (2).jpgThis is a box with                                                                                 an emerging bee under the release box top.

Wildlife have no respect for photographers!

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 1 of 505
504 REPLIES 504

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93342 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions
Message 261 of 505

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

Watering containers depends on the weather @Anonymous . Over this last week they have been watered daily (in the evening). We didn't water the night after the big storm though....

Thank you @Cleoriff 

Message 262 of 505

TallTrees
  • 11055 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 364 Solutions
Your assessment of the weed is profound @jonsie

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 263 of 505

TallTrees
  • 11055 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 364 Solutions
The smaller the container the more often it needs watering and a little miracle grow in the watering-can once a week helps enormously, throughout the summer. Large or very large containers don't need so much attention.
Go for it👍@WispaRed7

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 264 of 505

Cleoriff
  • 124330 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7524 Solutions

I forgot about the Miracle Gro @TallTrees ...and I use that weekly.

I would disagree about large pots needing less water though. In theory they should need less, however I have two in my garden made of clay, similar to these, though a much wider diameter at the top....

Image result for images of plant container cone shaped

Those two have, over the years, become extremely porous and dry out more quickly than any other pot I have. Every year I think I will get rid of them but they are so unusual, I keep them. Though I am quite selective as to which plants I put in them wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 265 of 505

TallTrees
  • 11055 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 364 Solutions
Absolutely correct @Cleoriff
I have a lovely terracotta wall pocket planter, not small about 12 inches across top. On wall facing due south. I had to take it off this summer as it was drying out too fast and watering it so often was affecting the wall. So replaced with plastic wall pocket...much better now.
It does very much depend on the pot, of course, clay pots glazed are better because the glazing stops the drying out.
Thanks for the clarification, this will help @Anonymous make good choices 👍

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 266 of 505

Cleoriff
  • 124330 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7524 Solutions

@TallTrees wrote:
I have a lovely terracotta wall pocket planter, not small about 12 inches across top. On wall facing due south. I had to take it off this summer as it was drying out too fast and watering it so often was affecting the wall. So replaced with plastic wall pocket...much better now.
It does very much depend on the pot, of course, clay pots glazed are better because the glazing stops the drying out.

@TallTrees wrote:

Those two I showed you aren't even glazed @TallTrees disappointed They just were so unusual when I bought them, i didn't think of the 'consequences'.Lol

I have a mixture of pots in my garden and although the glazed clay pots are 'classy, I am finding you can get some beautiful plastic pots which are much better at holding water and keeping your plants in flower for a lot longer. I doubt I would buy another terracotta pot now with the choice of plastic ones looking so good. cool

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 267 of 505

TallTrees
  • 11055 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 364 Solutions

The pottery glazed ones I have are very large and far far too heavy ~ plastic pots are definitely prettier now I agree there @Cleoriff  They are easier to handle. The glazed clay pots I have are huge and need to be moved on a sack barrow! Now are finally planted up with slow a growing plant and not going to be moved again..ever!  They go with the house like it or not!

Your pot in the photograph looks very stylish ~ so unusual ~ I have never seen one like that anywhere.

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 268 of 505

Cleoriff
  • 124330 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7524 Solutions

@TallTrees wrote:

Your pot in the photograph looks very stylish ~ so unusual ~ I have never seen one like that anywhere.

I have two of them @TallTrees and they are much wider than that at the top and narrower at the bottom.

They also have to be moved with a rolling motion. I leave that to my son now. My days of moving heavy pots are long gone. rofl

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 269 of 505

TallTrees
  • 11055 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 364 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@TallTrees wrote:

I have two of them @TallTrees and they are much wider than that at the top and narrower at the bottom.

They also have to be moved with a rolling motion. I leave that to my son now. My days of moving heavy pots are long gone. rofl

You and me "both"  @Cleoriff 

Didn't seem to matter at one time ~ size weight this and that ~ now no way 

I recently changed my mini nectarine tree and mini peach tree into very attractive

plastic pots in fact out of those pair of huge heavy glazed pot, that made a

great difference to me.

Rolling ~ ah yes!

Good you have a young man to help you (your son):heart_eyes:

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 270 of 505