Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Awakening Sleeping BEEuties

TallTrees
Level 50: Versatile
  • 11056 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 364 Solutions

hthttps://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Off-Topic/sleeping-BEEuties/m-p/1160526/highlight/true#M116627tps://...

From last year they were Sleeping Beeuties 2018 to

This year 2019  again these little kind and sweet bees have caught me unaware and when I opened

the sleeping box there were a few anxious looking faces!  So up went the boxes sharpish

and they were put on top to feel the fresh air and off they flew ~ they'll be back always

to the same spot they first remember.

These are the boxes facing South in the hot sun.  

WP_20190402_13_03_54_Pro (3).jpgWP_20190402_13_49_37_Pro (2).jpgThis is a box with                                                                                 an emerging bee under the release box top.

Wildlife have no respect for photographers!

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 1 of 505
504 REPLIES 504

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

@Anonymous 

You can plant polyanthus, pansies, snowdrops, crocus, alyssum in pots for winter colour. Tete-a-tete daffs etc. etc.

If you have a wall or fence you can plant a winter flowering jasmine (nudiflorum). Most of my plants are in pots and have winter and summer plants in all of them. thumbsup

thank you @Cleoriff for the list of what to plant in winter, very varied & @TallTrees for your infomative reply

My yard has walls around it so a winter flowering jasmine sounds absolutely lovely

I know you are a keen gardener Cleo, but didn't know most of your plants are in pots with winter & summer flowers in them

I intend to keep an eye out what Morrisons have to offer, sorry we have a B&M not a B&Q in Skipton

I know a buddlea (butterfly bush) is attractive, could this be planted in a pot please ? Ibelieve @jonsie has a large one in his garden 

Thank you again 

Message 251 of 505

Cleoriff
  • 124374 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7524 Solutions

@Anonymous 

You CAN grow a buddleia in a pot as long as its a big pot. https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/shrubs/butterfly-bush/butterfly-bush-container-care.htm

Most of my garden is what they call a container garden @Anonymous . I do have a lawn, with Hardy shrubs all the way round, however the patio is massive and I have about 20 pots to deal with come summer and winter.

The jasmine which Ray razed to the ground when I asked him to trim it back!!!!!....has arisen from the dead like a phoenix. and is now trailing across the trellis again. I had replaced it with two Weigela Florida and they are all doing very well..smiling

Weigela florida 'Variegata'

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 252 of 505

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

@Anonymous 

You CAN grow a buddleia in a pot as long as its a big pot. https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/shrubs/butterfly-bush/butterfly-bush-container-care.htm

Most of my garden is what they call a container garden @Anonymous . I do have a lawn, with Hardy shrubs all the way round, however the patio is massive and I have about 20 pots to deal with come summer and winter.

The jasmine which Ray razed to the ground when I asked him to trim it back!!!!!....has arisen from the dead like a phoenix. and is now trailing across the trellis again. I had replaced it with two Weigela Florida and they are all doing very well..smiling

Weigela florida 'Variegata'

What a lovely picture @Cleoriff ... I have the place for a buddlea bush in a particular sunny corner of the yard ... When my gardening friend is available to help me carry stuff (will take shopping trolly too) I intend to do some gardening shopping now with your & @TallTrees help I'm more in tune with things sunflower

Message 253 of 505

TallTrees
  • 11056 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 364 Solutions

Yes a container garden can be so beautiful @Anonymous 

as @Cleoriff says.  Lovely Jasmine and scented.

Brilliant.  Never mind B & Q any supermarket does the job smiling

You'll be happier for it ~ don't do too much at once do your best.

bye for nowTT

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 254 of 505

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25378 Posts
  • 833 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I used to get quite a lot of different types of butterflies in my garden but haven`t noticed any this year and was wondering why?

Nothing has changed in the garden - no new plants, no new pets in area... 

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 255 of 505

TallTrees
  • 11056 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 364 Solutions
I haven't seen as many but we are told that the butterflies that arrive from the continent "painted lady" are in huge numbers.....so be prepared ! @Mi-Amigo

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 256 of 505

TallTrees
  • 11056 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 364 Solutions

@pgn wrote:

Is this the be-all and end-all of tee-shirts? Thinking

Spotted on my Twitter timeline earlier. 

Screenshot_20190721-150447__01.jpg

I like this one @pgn 

Thanks for the post 

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 257 of 505

TallTrees
  • 11056 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 364 Solutions

I GREW THIS SWEET NECTARINE WITH THE HELP OF MY BEES ~

20190723_115023 (2).jpg

AND ATE IT FOR MY LUNCHFantastic

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 258 of 505

Anonymous
Not applicable

@TallTrees wrote:

Yes a container garden can be so beautiful @Anonymous 

as @Cleoriff says.  Lovely Jasmine and scented.

Brilliant.  Never mind B & Q any supermarket does the job smiling

You'll be happier for it ~ don't do too much at once do your best.

bye for nowTT

Thank you both @Cleoriff  & @TallTrees 

I plan to start with sorting out the messy fancy plant pot in the centre of the yard, it's a focal point

However, when the weather cools somewhat, I will begin, it's just too hot to do anything outside atm

Do you have to water your containers each day @Cleoriff ?

That nectarine looks so luscious @TallTrees 

Message 259 of 505

Cleoriff
  • 124374 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7524 Solutions

Watering containers depends on the weather @Anonymous . Over this last week they have been watered daily (in the evening). We didn't water the night after the big storm though....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 260 of 505