Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Art

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
I'd like to see who else shares my passion.

Who do you think are the most influential artists of the modern era?

(Would we be allowed to post pics/links?)
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Link away wink

I love HR Giger, check him out.

He designed the Alien from the popular film and his biomechanical landscapes are something to behold!
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 2 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

Tough one as modern art can be argued that of the last 100 years. 

I think people like Damien Hirst and Andy Warhol especially Warhol have changed the perception of what art is today.

I like a guy called Paul Kessling. Julian Beever and Kurt Weener are very clever.

Message 3 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

i love art, im going to be studying it in March, but im REALLY into tattoo artists... so many of them have galleries ect... and i have a stupid amount of coca cola ads, marilyn canvases, posters, mirrors ect, so im old school, but i love a guy called Tim Shumate, he did tattooed disney princess pin ups... :)) 

Message 4 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

I do love a tattoo. 

Message 5 of 26

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Paul Booth has some crazy tattoo designs!

I'm also a huge fan of the artist Francis Bacon
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 6 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

In terms of being influential on newer artists - Picasso and Dali have to figure highly - with Warhol and Lowrey coming close.   Henry Moore also had a huge impact (one of my favourites).

There are also some "unsung heroes" - "commercial artists" like Chris Foss and a number of comic book artists who practically created genres and are still influencing not only graphical artists but TV and cinema.   Foss in particular - hugely influential on viewers and well as other artists - plus he made it acceptable to use hyper-realism when everyone else was trying so hard to blur reality and form.

It's interesting though that Van Gogh and Lautrec are still such massively influential painters - perhaps it's because they both fall between abstraction and realism and their styles can be emulated fairly easily - though rarely succesfully.

As a purely personal thing, if I was able to buy a work by any recent artist - something to hang in my onw home and look at every day - it would have to be a Hockney.  His painting always feel "positive" to me and I like that effect.

If I could buy any work - not just modern - it would either be something distinctly renaissance - failing that, anything by Hogarth or Turner - both of whom push my emotional buttons.

Message 7 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

i love how somebody took the time to answer this, and i agree with everything! mega kudos!x

Message 8 of 26

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
That is a great post:) you my friend know your stuff:)

We don't have to stick to mainstream by any means. I myself have pictures of banksy and Warhol art around my house.

Banksy is possibly my favourite "artist" despite many seeing his work as graffiti.
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 9 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

you guys have some great taste!!

Message 10 of 26