Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another Bank Scam - Please Read

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

This was posted on Facebook by a friend. It's worth reading to help keep on top of things like this.

So I had a call on our landline from ‘Brian Johnston’ from my banks fraud team this morning, he confirmed my name and mobile phone number to me and advised that at 11am this morning someone spent £1,950 in PC World in Manchester using my debit card and another £950 somewhere else in Manchester, he also advised me that they had accessed my phone banking and got through security by pretending to be me. He never asked me any details – he told me my name, mobile phone number and which bank I was with, he asked if I had my card in my possession and had a card reader. I said to him that although he thinks he knows who I am I don’t know if he’s not some fraudster sitting in his pants in front of a laptop in Mexico trying to steal my money (why I said that IDK) -In order to prove to me he was who he said he was going to phone my mobile number from the banks helpline number printed on the back of my bank card, which he did- I told him that meant nothing as number could be cloned etc etc, so to prove it he did it again (??) and again(??) clearly thinking this was convincing me he was genuine. He guaranteed the payments had been stopped but in order to get this fixed I needed to do what he said and then get to my branch ASAP…. first he wanted me to log into my accounts and move my money into the banks ‘safe account’…so yes, writing this it is clear this is now a scam – but he was sooooo convincing….that was until I told him I wasn’t going to do that, the mask slipped a little and he began to lose patience with me, again I highlighted how odd that was and that I still didn’t know if he was genuine and he read some alleged Bank terms and conditions type narrative to me over and over saying that if I did not do what he instructed my banks insurance would not cover me, I hung up on him and he tried calling back 2 more times……. Went straight to the bank and my accounts are all fine, I can now easily see how people are conned, Anyway please please be careful, especially with more online shopping etc coming up over Christmas. xx

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

Just a note for @Anonymous. The link you gave does not work. The forum filter has removed some of it and all I get  is an error code,

Here's a tiny url of it https://tinyurl.com/y9wh8dgs

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 11 of 16

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Thanks for that @MI5 thumbsup

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 12 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff

Cheers for the heads up and @MI5 Great minds think alike

Message 13 of 16

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10672 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions
Hi @Bambino
Thanks for putting me right. Glad your colleague escaped unscathed.

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 14 of 16

dgilbert2
Level 13: Prompter
  • 936 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 6 Solutions

It gets so depressing all these scammer issues! No wonder Howard Hughes became a recluse!

Message 15 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you @Bambino for letting us know ... 

Message 16 of 16