Did you mean: 

A good week for Cancer Research

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

This week we have seen some excellent news about cancer research in the UK

Six days ago the Royal Marsden Hospital and the Institute of Cancer research (ICR) announced exciting developments. Nine out of ten men with advanced prostate cancer – an incurable and fatal disease – could soon be treated with new or existing drugs following a pioneering study that scientists have called the “Rosetta Stone” of prostate research. It has been classed as a game changer as the treatment could potentially be used on other cancers.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/nine-out-of-ten-male-prostat...

As if that wasn't enough, yesterday, the same institute announced a world first in the treatment of melanoma (skin cancer) This has been achieved by using a genetically modified cold sore virus which attacks cancer cells.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/world-first-as-scientists-pr...

As someone who has lost friends and family to prostate and skin cancer, this news is absolutely mind blowing.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29

Anonymous
Not applicable

Having lost my mother to cancer when I was young I always support the work of Cancer Research and it's good to hear progress against all forms of this evil condition. 

Message 2 of 30

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Fantastic development,
Fingers crossed on further research yielding more results like these.
Message 3 of 30

durhamdad
Level 3: Thinker
  • 50 Posts
  • 17 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

great news i myself have had throat cancer and just had an operation to remove a skin cancer from my face cheek so well done cancer uk

live each day as if its your last because one day it will be
Message 4 of 30

jonsie
  • 92919 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I've lost many family and friends to cancer,  please keep giving good people. One day we will eradicate this awful disease. 

Message 5 of 30

Cairdeas
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 3570 Posts
  • 34 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Also this article on breast cancer. It's good to see some positive news about this terrible disease for once . Hope you're ok @durhamdad x

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/may/28/breast-cancer-scientists-enzyme-spread-bisphosphonate...

giphy-3
Message 6 of 30

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Amazing to think that the cold sore virus can.....

a) Be genetically modified

b) Destroy melanoma cancer cells.....

My first thought was...How the hell did the research team ever come up with that one?

The wonders of science at it's brilliantly random best wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 30

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Cairdeas wrote:

Also this article on breast cancer. It's good to see some positive news about this terrible disease for once . Hope you're ok @durhamdad x

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/may/28/breast-cancer-scientists-enzyme-spread-bisphosphonate...

I know it doesn't matter where this research is done as long as a cure is found ....but by god this makes me so proud to be British. Bow Hero

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 30

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

@Cairdeas wrote:

I know it doesn't matter where this research is done as long as a cure is found ....but by god this makes me so proud to be British. Bow Hero

thank you for the above @Cairdeas & blue link re: prostrate cancer @Cleoriff, someone very slight_frown near to my heart has it,& I get the part in the article when it says there can now be personalised treatment for sufferrers

my GP of many years retired with cancer slight_frown it was said 'learning to live with cancer' I was told att by another GP 

also lost a very good friend to cancer of the duo-denum some years ago, 58 = no age, his mum was 85 ..... on his plaque at the cremarorium little garden around the 'chapel' was written XXX dearly loved son, brother, uncle & friend to many ..... the funeral had been trad jazz New Orleans type with a local band, he was sent him off in style slight_frown

All good news re: cancer is just wonderful, what can be done nowadays

& yes Cleoriff makes you proud to be British 

Message 9 of 30

jonsie
  • 92919 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 10 of 30