cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Cure for Paralysis (Spinal Cord Injury)

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122370 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

There has been much in the news today but one item stood out for me.

Incredible news of the paralysed man who, after pioneering surgery, is learning to walk again.

Darek Fidyka had his spinal cord severed in 2010 after being stabbed repeatedly in the back. He was left paralysed with no hope of ever walking again

Professor Geoffrey Raisman, of University College London's Institute of Neurology, led the UK research team who developed the cell regeneration programme. It took 10 years.

He said what had been achieved was "more impressive than man walking on the moon".

I have worked in two spinal injury units during my nursing career and know first hand what this news will mean to many many people, so I am inclined to agree wholeheartedly with Professor Raisman's statement.........

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-29645760

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/284152.php

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122370 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I can totally agree with some of what you say @Anonymous  purely because often what 'we' think is a 'common cold' could have in fact developed into something more serious like a severe chest infection...

If your GP suspects that is the case then yes...he will put you on a course of antibiotics (and as yours had gone on for 4 weeks that is why I told you to get to your GP, as I suspected that is what had happened with you...)..

Length of time antibiotics should be given (a whole different ball game) and dependent on many factors not least of all dosage..

A general rule of thumb is MOST oral antibioics will be prescribed over a 7-10 day period. After that time their 'job is done' as it were... If you are not better after that, giving you more of the same is never an option. You either need

1) A different antibiotic to be tried...or

2) Investigations such as blood and sputum tests and maybe a chest xray......

AND..you really need to check with your GP as to whether having the flu jab so soon after your illness is an option just now....? wink

Phew...I feel as if I have just written a thesis...LOL

Next patient please....Cat

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 21 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

AND..you really need to check with your GP as to whether having the flu jab so soon after your illness is an option just now....? wink

Phew...I feel as if I have just written a thesis...LOL

Next patient please....Cat

thanks @Cleoriff   for the heads up re flu jab so soon after an infection

have an appointment with GP few days before flu jab, so will ask then

WispaRed7 Cat

Message 22 of 22