cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Cure for Paralysis (Spinal Cord Injury)

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122354 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

There has been much in the news today but one item stood out for me.

Incredible news of the paralysed man who, after pioneering surgery, is learning to walk again.

Darek Fidyka had his spinal cord severed in 2010 after being stabbed repeatedly in the back. He was left paralysed with no hope of ever walking again

Professor Geoffrey Raisman, of University College London's Institute of Neurology, led the UK research team who developed the cell regeneration programme. It took 10 years.

He said what had been achieved was "more impressive than man walking on the moon".

I have worked in two spinal injury units during my nursing career and know first hand what this news will mean to many many people, so I am inclined to agree wholeheartedly with Professor Raisman's statement.........

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-29645760

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/284152.php

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

He said what had been achieved was "more impressive than man walking on the moon".

Up there with early man standing for the first time.

Amazing story, thanks for sharing it.

Message 2 of 22

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

This could be a major breakthrough for so many people. Advancement in so many fields these days continue to amaze and astound me. I sometimes long for the old days when everything was so simple but I knew many people affected by diseases and physical disabilities whose lives would have been enriched if they had been born 50 years later.

Message 3 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

virtual kudos for your post Cleoriff :womanvery-happy:

saw the news (briefly) in the i newspaper slight_smile

WispaRed7 Cat

Message 4 of 22

Cleoriff
  • 122354 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I have literally sat watching the Panorama News special tonight with my jaw dropping....they followed this team of researchers for a year to make the programme.....(and showed the surgery)

Not patronising anyone here but fractured spines can be relatively simple things to recuperate from because it is the vertebra (bones) that are damaged. Spinal cord damage is another thing completely.

Even more amazing when you realise the cells they used for regeneration...were taken from the nose....

I honestly stand in awe of these people.:smileyhappy:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 22

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I'll take your word for it @Cleoriff slight_smile

Being on the squeamish side I couldn't be watching stuff like that, far too much blood and gore for me. I too am in complete admiration for these people who strive for medical 'miracle cures' often for little personal gain and reward, just to know that they are making the world a better place Hero

Now if they can only cure the common cold....

Message 6 of 22

Cleoriff
  • 122354 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

I'll take your word for it @Cleoriff slight_smile

Being on the squeamish side I couldn't be watching stuff like that, far too much blood and gore for me.

You  would have been fine jonsie...it was only about 5 minutes of surgery they showed.....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for sharing this story and link Cleoriff

I'm constantly amazed at the leaps and bounds made in the medical world.
Message 8 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

Now if they can only cure the common cold....

but they can jonsie ..... = ..... a dose of penecillin (antibiotics) works wonders wink

well not a cure really I suppose, but it would sure make us all who have the sniffles feel a lot better wink

but of course, antibiotics are not handed our willy nilly in GB by GPs as our bodies would become used to them & then new antibiotics would have to be invented ..... cf ..... such as India where it is I believe generally by poorly people that tablets or medicine are required to cure an ailment ..... @Cleoriff what do you say?

When I lived in Sharjah United Arab Emirates antibiotics could be bought otc ..... we were registered with a doctor, but I was strict, as said above, in not pumping my kid who was 2/3 years old then with drugs ..... all except the wonderstuff that was pink calpol ..... he'd take that easy off the spoon

sorry to have gone off subject a bit, but I was replying to jonsie's comment slight_smile

yep, up there with a Man on the Moon re op

& upon reading the blue link which Cleoriff put up

the GB medical/scientific people are to acquire any patents of the process to be made freely available to all ..... credit to them Hero ..... = ..... yes heroes in my mind

WispaRed7 Cat

Message 9 of 22

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 10 of 22