🚫⚽️The Anti Football Football Club ⚽️🚫

LukasB
Former Staff
  • 1791 Posts
  • 177 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

pexels-jeshootscom-1201996.jpg

Hey guys,

how are we doing today? Tonight there will be a big big game: England vs Germany!

I know this will be slightly controversial but with everyone going crazy about the EUROS I was thinking: What do other people like me - who absolutely do not care about football - do when the games are on?

I am looking for inspiration. All my friends will be watching the game tonight but I will absolutely NOT 😂

During the last world cup I made it a habit of going on eBay and bidding on things as no one seemed to be bidding against me.

Where are my anti football fans? What are you watching tonight? Do you have a favourite “while football is on” hobby? Join me in my new kind of football club and share ideas. 🚫🚫🚫🚫

And please no conversion attempts. I let you fans watch it, please let me be against it 😂

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 77
76 REPLIES 76

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25581 Posts
  • 855 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I bet @LukasB is chuffed that his Anti-Football thread has become a Pro-Football thread. rofl 

@LukasB There's always the tennis...

If @LukasB starts a Wimbledon tennis thread Crazy

then I`ll start a "I`d Rather Watch Paint Dry" thread yahoo

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 41 of 77

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 125801 Posts
  • 829 Topics
  • 7549 Solutions

@Mi-Amigo wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I bet @LukasB is chuffed that his Anti-Football thread has become a Pro-Football thread. rofl 

@LukasB There's always the tennis...

If @LukasB starts a Wimbledon tennis thread Crazy

then I`ll start a "I`d Rather Watch Pain Dry" thread yahoo

I would agree with him on that. Tonight we have tennis on BBC1 and BBC2. I used to love it but TBH, what with footie AND tennis, it's all getting a bit too much. (In my opinion)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 42 of 77

jonsie
  • 93932 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7017 Solutions

Cleoriff
  • 125801 Posts
  • 829 Topics
  • 7549 Solutions

Just heard on the new Andy Murray has won his match. ....eventually.

When he is playing, BBC just stays with the match until it goes on too long, then moves it to BBC 2 and sod off if you are waiting to watch something else!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 44 of 77

LukasB
  • 1791 Posts
  • 177 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

@Mi-Amigo not creating another thread that goes exactly where I don't want it to go joy

I am totally lost with this one already haha - but I think we make this the official football thread now

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 45 of 77

Projectionist
  • 275 Posts
  • 18 Topics
  • 8 Solutions

Some great quotes from George_Orwell ....

1. International football is the continuation of war by other means.
  2. Football, a game in which everyone gets hurt and every nation has its own style of play which seems unfair to foreigners.
  3. So long as they (the Proles) continued to work and breed, their other activities were without importance. Left to themselves, like cattle turned loose upon the plains of Argentina, they had reverted to a style of life that appeared to be natural to them, a sort of ancestral pattern...Heavy physical work, the care of home and children, petty quarrels with neighbors, films, football, beer and above all, gambling filled up the horizon of their minds. To keep them in control was not difficult. (From "1984" )

Boris has probably heard the last one unamused

Edited to include "1984"

Using Pixel 4 ( O2 + 1pMobile) , Samsung E1182 ( geosim + dtac)
Message 46 of 77

Cleoriff
  • 125801 Posts
  • 829 Topics
  • 7549 Solutions

I'll add my own quote to that @Projectionist 

Top footballers get paid up to £100 mill for kicking a ball about

Formula One Drivers are paid between £1mill to £45 mill for racing at 200 mph.

Just to put it into context.....

World Cup 2018: Brazilian Footballer Neymar Is On A Roll : NPR

AND

Ranking The 10 Most Crash-Prone F1 Drivers In History – Formula Racing  Passion

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 47 of 77

sheepdog
  • 3316 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

I'll add my own quote to that @Projectionist 

Top footballers get paid up to £100 mill for kicking a ball about

Formula One Drivers are paid between £1mill to £45 mill for racing at 200 mph.

Just to put it into context.....

World Cup 2018: Brazilian Footballer Neymar Is On A Roll : NPR

AND

Ranking The 10 Most Crash-Prone F1 Drivers In History – Formula Racing  Passion

The headline price of a footballer isn't just pay. Its selling their soul to the club i.e. image rights, sponsorship and potential marketing, cost to the other club for services not rendered and basically greed by the agents and player in screwing as much as they can get out of the deal. On the other hand one bad injury ends all of that or as we've seen in recent years, a club in financial administration will also end that income rather quickly. Way too many factors involved to point to just one ball being kicked.  

F1 drivers are a bit of a misnomer. They're not really sportsmen but are test pilots in the guise of sport. Sure they do the fitness thing but so do fighter pilots and believe me, they have live weapons and don't even get 10% of what footballers and F1 drivers get (Actually its quite eye opening considering the stresses involved so I'll let you research that one).

Message 48 of 77

Cleoriff
  • 125801 Posts
  • 829 Topics
  • 7549 Solutions

No need to research anything @sheepdog I've already done it.

'F1 drivers are not really sportsmen' is the most ridiculous thing I've heard today.

They train hard to maintain top physical fitness even in the off season. They sell their souls to the team who employ them. They maintain an image which does not bring any disrespect to the club. They undergo drug tests before they race. They too have sponsorship deals and image rights.

Any injury ends their career, unless you are Romain Grosjean who stepped out a car in Bahrain last year. The car hit the barriers at 175Kmph, exploded, was a ball of fire, smashed in half but due to the speed of the marshalls and medical team, he was pulled out of the car sustaining severe burns to his hands and foot. This season he is back driving Nascar and Indy 500 with a specially designed steering wheel.

More F1 drivers have lost their lives to the sport than any footballer who as I said, kicks a ball about for a living.

Also a short lived career which ends when they are roughly 36-40. Or earlier if a team has a young hotshot waiting in the wings to take their seat.

Finally, Lewis Hamilton, the British F1 driver who has won 7 world championships is paid 35 million a year, a fraction of the vast sums paid to Federer, Neymar, Messi, Ronaldo, and their ilk. He is 12th on the list of top paid sportspeople. There are 19 other drivers on the grid who do what he does but are paid a fraction of that.

So don't tell me 'F1 drivers aren't really sportsmen'. They risk their lives every time they step into a F1 car. They train harder than any footballer. They don't just rock up every weekend, jump in a car and drive.

The BBC classes them as sportsmen. That's why LH has won SPORTS Personality of the year twice.

I'm not talking about fighter pilots. The discussion on the thread was about football and various sports.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 49 of 77

liggerz87
Level 20: Radiant
  • 1279 Posts
  • 102 Topics
  • 15 Solutions
I was watching the football lol
Message 50 of 77