cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stupid question maybe ?

Anonymous
Not applicable
i am totally confused about mobile wifi bolt-on :robotindifferent:

ok the bolt on is £7 a month but what is this for ?

can i not just connect to my own wireless network why would i need to pay 02 for this ?
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

I think the £7 charge is the same as you would pay line rental at home, that is what i would imagine the charge is for.

Your phone should be able to pick up your wi-fi and it is free to go on the internet on your phone whilst connected to it.

When surfing the net it is free but as soon as you start downloading pages then you will be charged more, the best thing to do is call 02 customer services on 202.

Hope this is of help??
Message 2 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
thanks for the reply

from what i can find the wifi bolt-on is to gain access to the internet via cloud hotspots but non cloud wireless areas like my own wireless signal from my router
or any unsecured is free

can anyone let me know if this is correct ?
Message 3 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
You don't need to pay any extra to connect to your own wi-fi, you only need to pay to connect to third-party chargeable hot-spots.
Message 4 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
thanks for the reply

from what i can find the wifi bolt-on is to gain access to the internet via cloud hotspots but non cloud wireless areas like my own wireless signal from my router
or any unsecured is free

can anyone let me know if this is correct ?

Correct.

£7 Wifi Bolt On = Acess to The Cloud & BT Hotspots ONLY.

If you find any Wifi coverage with no password (eg in a cafe, airport, neighbours network, your network...) then its free and you could say will be charged through the Web Bolt On, so make sure you have this instead of the Wifi.
Message 5 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
I will be getting the web bolt-on as you get a choice of free bolt on
with the simplicity 1 month contract I will be getting.

I wonder if 02 sales would also give me a free wifi bolt to get me on a 12 month
contract

i would defo sign for the 12 months with 2 bolt ons for free grin
Message 6 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

£7 Wifi Bolt On = Acess to The Cloud & BT Hotspots ONLY.
If you find any Wifi coverage with no password (eg in a cafe, airport, neighbours network, your network...) then its free and you could say will be charged through the Web Bolt On, so make sure you have this instead of the Wifi.

Apart from being illegal and punishable if accessed without permission especially neighbours who don't secure it: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4721723.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hereford/worcs/6565079.stm
BTW, in my experience, wifi that is not password protected doesn't always mean you can use it as you need an access code - case in point are airports! Else I'd agree with you - go for the web bolt on as The Cloud hotspots aren't exactly in places you want.

Ok fair enough you're not SUPPOSE to, but if you want to take adavantage of your slightly dumb pc neighbours then go ahead, at your own risk ! :womanindifferent:
But I've been at Heathrow, on 3 occasions and each time I've been fine tho!

In those sort of Airport places, you have several diffrent wifi networks available, I just avoided the T-Mobile Hotspot and used a simple Cafe network each time.
Message 7 of 7