cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unauthorised Data Bolt-ons - Children

Anonymous
Not applicable
My son - despite various punishments, so please spare me parenting tips - regularly “buys” more data. His phone is on my contract and he has unlimited texts and calls but limited data. Taking the phone from him is an impractical option. He is a minor. Various calls to 02 have yielded no help: they say I can’t disable his phone from buying data. The data is - of course - charged to my credit card. He is not paying this for himself - directly at least. 02 don’t seem to give a chuff about this. Any suggestions?
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks. Complaints are a hassle: they insist on you speaking to a manager (not always available) and do not encourage email complaints.

They swear blind the can’t block top-ups. I don’t really believe them.
Message 11 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
Damn.
I was enjoying this. I think I just accidentally closed the discussion as “solved”. It isn’t
but thanks for the advice folk.
Message 12 of 18

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Wouldn't he need access to My O2 to order data bolt ons? Change password so he can't access it.

Message 13 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
“Wouldn't he need access to My O2 to order data bolt ons? Change password so he can't access it.”

That’s what I thought. But he can just call the number and go through the: press “x” for 5mb for £123 etc.
Message 14 of 18

MI5
  • 144821 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27772 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Damn.
I was enjoying this. I think I just accidentally closed the discussion as “solved”. It isn’t
but thanks for the advice folk.

One of the admins will unsolve it for you or you can do it yourself from the dropdown menu in the post.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 15 of 18

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23174 Posts
  • 1027 Topics
  • 3688 Solutions

@Anonymous It really isn't our place to offer parenting tips, and you've said you don't want to hear them, but you've also said that O2 don't give a chuff. It sounds to me like your son doesn't either. I don't know what the solution to this is. Maybe take the sim out of his phone for a while so he can still use it but only in an emergency and on WiFi? Just a thought.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 17 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @Anonymous

Yes, I sympathise with you ... however ... your son needs to take responsibility for his behaviour as you will well know 

With me, when my son was a teenagaer at school, he once rang me using a friend's mobile to say he & his friend had missed the school bus ... so ... I was able to ring the school & let them know

My son came relatively late to mobiles, probably his dad, my x-husband, bought him one, for just those sort of reasons lst off, before it became a social thing (not in school lessons, I might add)

He had a payg phone & it worked well for him & me & his dad

Sorry, @Anonymous not giving parenting advice, just how I found it, probably before the days where data was invented for mobiles = he played games on the tv with his mates (in & not in the room)

Hope you get a satisfactory resolution to your problem @Anonymous

Message 18 of 18