cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PAC code issues - iPhone & TMobile

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi there

Today I purchased an iphone 3GS at Carphone Warehouse in Central London. I am currently on TMobile and they went through all relevant checks to get me onto O2 etc. However although CPW told me I needed to get a PAC code from TMobile they omitted to tell me that if my contract was not due for expiry I would be subject to penalty chargs from TMobile!

In meantime, I get set up on O2 and buy the iphone etc. But when I phone TMobile to get my PAC code they tell me I am still under contract with them until January 2010 and if I end contract now I will have to pay £160 penalty to do this . . I was livid, not expecting it all. So didn't cancel my contract there and then but decided to go back to CPW for further advice.

Anyway, I go back to CPW to see same guy as I saw when I bought the iphone earlir and tell him not happy he didn't point this out etc. but he tells me there is nothing CPW can do - if I break the contract early with TMobile, I break the contract, simmple as, and if necessary have to pay fees to do it - on the basis that they're losing my monthly business.

I am currently on TMobile Flext 35 tariff - the guy at CPW did suggest I could call them back and ask them to put me on the next tariff down and then ask them to cancel my contract after I've downgraded. as the penalty may work out cheaper.

So right now I am in a dilemma - I really really want the iPhone but don't want to pay £160 to TMobile for the privilege!! I have already paid £96 for the iphone to Carphone Warehouse.

So . .

should I just wait for my TMobile contract to end in January and cancel my iphone and retrn everything back to Carphone and get my money back? (if I do this won't be able to reapply for an iphone for 3 mths).
should I ask TMobile if I can downgrade my account to next tariff down, and then call them back to get the PAC code in hope that it will be a smaller penalty?

bottom line is - does anyone know if there is a "backdoor" route around the whole TMobile contract penalty so I don't have to pay £160 . ?

I so want the iPhone but not prepared to shell out more ££ to TMobile.

Any help plesae!!!

many thanks for any help & advice with this
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions
AFAIK there is no 'back door route'. I would think that the CPW salesman would assume that you knew the terms & conditions of your contract with T Mobile. It is standard practice throughout the industry that if you sign up to a fixed term contract, you pay for that term whether you want to end the contract early or not. Frankly, you should have done your own research and been aware of the terms of your contract. It is not a penalty fee, it is the contractual figure remaining for the full term of the contract you signed.

In your position, I think it would be wise to return the iphone and see out the end of your contract with T Mobile and then go for the phone of your choice in January.
But that's just my opinion, ultimately the choice is yours.

I don't think this is what you would want to hear but maybe someone on the forum will be able to advise you further.
Good luck
Message 2 of 4

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions
I also suggest you look up the word contract in a dictionary. 😐

Silliest thing I've heard for ages.
To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 3 of 4

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Steve - I think it will be easiest to just return the whole iphone and cancel O2 until my TMobile contract runs out in Jan. It is all v frustrating though.

thanks again
Message 4 of 4