cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux and using Android devices with MTP mode.

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

Media Transfer Protocol (MTP) is something which is derived from Microsoft Windows Media Player alledgely. How this differs from normal file transfer is that, your device becomes associated with your media program rather than as an external drive.

Of course, recent versions of Windows allow you to access these devices although not quite in the same manner of a Mass Storage device. Meaning they are incompatable with some multimedia inputs like you find on TV, micro Hi-fi system for example.

Linux is an operating system based on Unix, created by Linus Torvalds and some other geeks. It is designed to be more security centric and requires sometimes requires a bit of patience to master. Think of it as Unix for people who I don't really want to type many commands and everything is license-free (apart from the Steam Gaming platform).

So anyway, in the next wee while I am going to be relaying how to use Linux to manage your media and if I get time and for anyone interested how to install the Google ADB/Fastboot tools to do manual installs or updates. I will not be covering rooting or any other form of reverse engineering.

I'll be covering Ubuntu 12.x upwards initially and perhaps post further information for other versions of Linux.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Hi Anticpated. A lovely little guide :).

If you want to put pictures in, let me know and I can give you editing abilities for a short while, or you can simply create a new guide and I can remove this one once all the info has been copied.
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 3 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

anticpated
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

Sorry the abysmal grammar. 

However I do hope, I get a guide done with pictures and everything......

Message 2 of 4

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Hi Anticpated. A lovely little guide :).

If you want to put pictures in, let me know and I can give you editing abilities for a short while, or you can simply create a new guide and I can remove this one once all the info has been copied.
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 3 of 4

anticpated
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

Nothing is concrete as yet, I first need to reinstall a Linux distriution. It's looks like I will be installing Kali Linux which is designed for security penetration and therefore offers a certain amount of built-in internet security once it's configured.

Like I said, the information is already out there; I'm just trying to consolidate it in the one place.

Message 4 of 4