cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pro-rata con

Anonymous
Not applicable

Took a sim only contract with O2 two days ago with minutes to call, but found out today that they control how much you use under "pro-rata basis" ended up being charged for those calls.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
One of the best companies for explaining this (for all is sins) is actually Sky.

When you sign up (on the phone at least) they do explain your first and second bill and go to some length to explain why the first one is likely to be higher.

That said I still think the idea that your billing period starts on the day your new contract starts would solve this once and for all.
Message 11 of 17

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 147056 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28284 Solutions
I agree that would be clearer but there has to be a good reason why O2, and many other companies don't do it....?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 12 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Indeed the does @MI5 and I suspect it is with regard to their billing cycles and internal systems.

Doesn't mean it couldn't be changed though. Surely anything that reduces unnecessary customer contact is a good thing? Less stress, less hassle, happier customers, note customer loyalty? Right First Time is a target to be aspired to! 😆
Message 13 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Toby @Anonymous has a valid point.

Can you clarify please ?
Message 14 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Of course ultimately it could also save o2 money and improve call centre wait times as this group of customers wouldn't be phoning in which in turn creates more space for those customers with issues.

I know some companies out there use the start date of service as the billing cycle. They must see the advantages 😀
Message 15 of 17

davethorp
Level 21: Regular
  • 1035 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 38 Solutions

I know not all networks do this. 3 actually have a pretty good system where the first allowance is larger than a normal month as they give you the pro rata alloance and your first month as one large initial allowance which resets on your second bill after which you get a standard month's allowance.

Message 16 of 17

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

Sorry to be blunt however every contract has a cooling off period. 

Everytime i get handed anything with t&c i ask to read them before signing. It's your right as a consumer.

I know we can get caught up with the excitement of it all. Stick with what you know and follow the advice of others you trust.

C'est la vie.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 17 of 17