Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why PUK numbers are available online

User
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I was considering to switch on SIM PIN protection for additional security. Before doing that, I was curious to find my PUK number.

While doing so, I have suprisingly found that that my PUK code is publicly available online on https://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-sims-and-devices/unblock-your-phone if I enter my phone number.

If I understand correctly, that is a complete security breach in the sense that even if I have an activated SIM PIN lock, any thief who steals my phone can just enter 3 random PINs incorrectly, and then use the PUK from the web-site just by entering my number.

I have assumed that the PUK should be protected by a mobile operator and be provided to a mobile network customer only after necessary verification is provided.

Could you advise, please, do I miss anything?

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

User
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Bambino, thank you. I don't know details, but my understanding that for some other mobile networks they at least require to fill in some form or to contact their customer support. I don't know if their customer support requires anything in addition to the mobile number (i.e. if e.g. they require a secret passcode or date of birth), but at least it is not possible to get the PUK by just entering a phone number online.

I really appreciate your responses. I am curious if it is fair to expect some response from O2 officials on this forum as well, or it might be the best to write to them somewhere. If the latter, could you advise, please, where it might be the best to write to?

Message 11 of 14

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144075 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions

@User 

There is no one employed by O2 on here.

If you wish to write to O2, the details are:

O2 Correspondence Team
PO BOX 694
Winchester
SO23 5AP

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 14

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23036 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3668 Solutions

You're welcome, @User  You can Google the email address for O2's CEO (for some silly reason we're not allowed to give it to you here) and write to him. I will also tag our community managers @Martin-O2 and @Marjo who might be able to shed some more light on the subject for you when they come back to work after the holiday.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 13 of 14

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Thanks for the tag on this @Bambino

@User I'll check with the team and see if I can get a bit more information around this. wink

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 14 of 14