cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do in case of loss of service due to possible fraud.

Rob76
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 37 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Help for possible account fraud (long read)

If you find your account suspended with no service for no apparent reason and receive the following message from o2:

“We’re just letting you know that we've cancelled your pending Direct Debit payment. This could be because you've made the payment early, there's a dispute on your account, or a credit has been applied to your account. You don't need to do anything in relation to this.”

(Ignore that last sentence and take action!)

The following advice may be useful and I am writing this in order to help others using my own personal experience to effect a resolution. In this case I was eventually informed the reason for the above was for ‘impersonation fraud.’ No fraud was found on the account.

In the first instance, call Customer Support for their input. If they inform you that a flag has been placed on your account, it is probably the Fraud department (this showed up on my o2 account) and you should:

Follow this up with an email to create a paper trail and keep a log of all calls (time and date) and emails. They will probably respond with ‘we will reply within seven days.’ (In my case, despite numerous emails, they never replied.)

If it is fraud related, ensure you email the fraud department as well. You will not receive a reply!

After seven days with no response, register an account with Resolver.co.uk and ensure all emails to o2 are forwarded using their portal, also log any calls you make. This is important.

Resolver will advise that o2 now have eight weeks to respond or resolve if possible. During this time, keep contacting o2 using their portal.

If after eight weeks the dispute is not settled, Resolver will advise the next step, usually escalate to the Ombudsman. If you agree, they will do this on your behalf, uploading all your logged emails and calls to the Ombudsman.

The Ombudsman will then contact you explain the procedure as follows:

I would like to start by explaining my role is to look at your complaint impartially, looking at both parties’ contributions, and decide if I think o2 have acted fairly and reasonably to your complaint.

I have accepted the case today which now gives yourself and o2 14 days to provide any supporting information to the portal such as a copy of the contract, emails, letters etc. At the end of 14 days, you then have an additional 4 days to review the information sent and make any comments.

Once the 4 day window has closed, I will then start my investigation which can take up to 14 days and I will the call you to discuss the decision.

During the first 14 days, o2 may contact you directly to try and resolve the complaint. However, to remain impartial, I will not be involved in any offer made to you by o2 at this stage and I cannot sway your decision to accept or decline any offer.

Once I have completed the investigation and posted my decision, yourself and o2 will have 14 days to review this.

If both yourself and o2 accept the decision, there will then be 28 days for o2 to implement any remedies that may be put forward.

(Reproduced with permission)

This should resolve the situation. I found the Ombudsman service to be excellent with regard to explanation and communication.

Advice:

Do follow the procedures.

You will be angry, upset, livid and frustrated, but keep your cool and do not take it out on those who are trying to help, it achieves nothing.

If you have no service, then during these protracted proceedings obtain a pay as you go sim for calls or as in my case I had another mobile.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

Oxonian
Level 33: Firestarter
  • 8900 Posts
  • 200 Topics
  • 26 Solutions

@Rob76 

Thank you for documenting the process that you followed when you lost your O2 service due to possible fraud. I am sure that forum members will find your guidance invaluable in the future. 

I think the point that you make in your penultimate paragraph is important. I have posted the words that follow on quite a few fraud cases on this forum :-   

"It is probably worth mentioning that O2 might be unable to give you an update whilst their investigation is ongoing. They have to comply with both criminal law and Money Laundering Regulations and this could be jeopardised if they update you whilst their case is incomplete. It is also possible that your case has been subsumed into a wider investigation if the same fraudster has other "victims" in addition to you".

I have one question if I may ? You begin your sixth paragraph with :-

"Follow this up with an email to create a paper trail....". 

Could you please confirm the actual O2 e-mail address that you used ? 

Again, many thanks for taking the time to write that up ! 👍 

Message 2 of 12

Rob76
  • 37 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

In my case, as I was unable to access my account, there was a note saying contact the Fraud team, so in the first instance I used  o2fraudteam@o2.com.  ( I can see the anomaly in my post)

All subsequent emails went via the Resolver portal and all replies via the portal came from o2 Complaint review service.

Your posts on fraud updates would be a useful addendum to my post but with the caveat that this should not absolve o2 from communicating with the complainant/customer!

You have mentioned in an earlier post that a generic email to that effect would diffuse frustration with o2's apparent non-communication policy.

Message 3 of 12

Oxonian
Level 33: Firestarter
  • 8900 Posts
  • 200 Topics
  • 26 Solutions

Thank you @Rob76 ; plenty of useful information in there ! 👍

What is the process please @Kei-M_O2 for turning this into a guide, getting it approved and having it accessible via a hashtag [#] ?

Message 4 of 12

Kei-M_O2
Community Manager
Community Manager
  • 79 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks @Oxonian

Great post @Rob76 👍

I've created a # link for it, I may do a few tweaks and move it to the Guides & Reviews section.

Guide: What to do in case of loss of service due to possible fraud 

Thanks,

Message 5 of 12

Rob76
  • 37 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Edit as you see fit. I did link this guide from my original thread post #62 here so if you move it to Guides & Reviews then that link will need to be replaced. 

Can you/I edit that link when all is sorted?

Rob

Message 6 of 12

pgn
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 38186 Posts
  • 240 Topics
  • 1729 Solutions

Top-notch guide @Rob76 - much-needed!

Message 7 of 12

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 125579 Posts
  • 829 Topics
  • 7546 Solutions

Excellent guide @Rob76. I'm sure it will help many others.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 125579 Posts
  • 829 Topics
  • 7546 Solutions

@Kei-M_O2 

Will you put this in the Index of Community Guides please?

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-and-Services/Index-of-Community-Guides/m-p/638349#U6383... 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 12

jonsie
  • 93887 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7017 Solutions
Message 10 of 12