Wangiri Calls and Calls from Armenia

Enlli
Level 67: Unsung hero
  • 7793 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 1643 Solutions

Another anti O2 article in the Guardian today which proves interesting 

I was drawn to this paragraph

O2 says customers can report suspicious calls from abroad by emailing nuisance@telefonica.com to allow it to bar the number on its network.

@Kei-M_O2 recently said they had been told there was no way to block the Armenian calls.  O2's reply to the Guardian seems to suggest otherwise, although I suspect it was said to get the Reporter off thier backs

Still, might be worth taking a note of the email address

https://www.theguardian.com/money/article/2024/aug/20/o2-phone-bill-call-wagiri-scam-mobile

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 125670 Posts
  • 829 Topics
  • 7547 Solutions

Interesting @Enlli 

Particularly the section about the 'sim swap fraud' from O2?

At least with the intervention of the Guardian, she was refunded her £150.

Thanks for posting.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 7

TallTrees
Level 50: Versatile
  • 11218 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 374 Solutions

Thank you for posting this article @Enlli 

I read it and it is very worrying.  

I don't have a spend cap on. Should I?

I should have premium bar and bill to phone bar put on quite early with advice from community. 

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 3 of 7

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 11305 Posts
  • 62 Topics
  • 3153 Solutions

To be honest I do think this is someone either installing an Dodgy App which receives a call and then triggers a call out, as people just blindly accept all permissions when downloading Apps, or people get a missed call and blindly click on call back... 

Normally I would take the Guardian's Journalistic Output with a pinch of salt, but o2 have provided a new contact email address... which us good to see ..

--
iPhone 15 Pro Max - o2 and Spusu
Xperia 1V - Spusu

--
This is not customer services and we dont have access to your account
I do not work for o2 or any VMo2 /Telefonica/Liberty Global Company
Message 4 of 7

TallTrees
Level 50: Versatile
  • 11218 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 374 Solutions

Yes true @madasaf1sh 

Everything should be taken with a LARGE pinch of Himalayan salt because it's pretty pink 🙄 

However good to be awake to these scams and the variety. 

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 5 of 7

Enlli
Level 67: Unsung hero
  • 7793 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 1643 Solutions

@madasaf1sh Yes, this particular journalist does post problems with O2 on a regular basis. I suspect that at some point they had a run in with O2's excellent customer service and this is their reward🤔

I did post for the email address but also questioning the disconect between O2 inferring they can block such numbers and what we have been told here

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 6 of 7

pgn
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 38218 Posts
  • 240 Topics
  • 1729 Solutions

And another article in the Guardian about Wangiri (2nd article, scroll down a bit!)

https://www.theguardian.com/money/article/2024/sep/10/insure-car-churchill-police-told-renewal

Despite maintaining the calls were made, O2 added: "“We’re investing heavily in technology, including AI, to help prevent fraudulent calls from reaching customers, and to flag calls to them when we believe it may be a scam or spam. Customers can help us protect others by taking a few seconds to forward calls like this for free to 7726,” it says."

The article author then exhorts

"O2 customers to log into their account and set a bill cap at £0, or a low sum appropriate to the number of international or chargeable calls they make. This will stop this scam in its tracks."

Hmm.🤔

Message 7 of 7