Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using a tablet - see post

Jenny105
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Hi its me again.  I'm the older lady who is partially hearing (Olisph ? :-} ) . Ive hit a problem which I hope someone can help with .    I used PCs for about 15 yrs before retirement. Retirement means you often lose the means of gaining info on new developments from work mates etc.   New stuff comes along like smartphones , tablet and numbered Gs and one finds oneself at a loss as to how to access simple info on these. Im not ashamed to go into a shop to ask but young folk arent able to comprehend my level of knowledge or lack of it. Note 02 , i didnt get such a friendly welcome today but didnt even ask these questions.

So todays issue is my tablet.  Ive use it at home mostly but want to use on a cruise boat in British waters next week. 

1         Linx 810  3G (MICROSOFT)  only so far used in conjuction with my home hub wi fi so far.

What do i need to use this on a boat, train , plane , shopping mall. cafe  I have no means at present to do this. Its for a few skype messages but may be an hour or 2 of ancestry searches if thats possible

2        I m interested as to how this  works?   or  do i mean      whats the difference between using a laptop with home hub which doesnt appear to cost anything (!!!  appear to  !!!)  and using a tablet while on the go. What does it run on.       how is it paid for?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
You need a data connection when on the move to connect to
Look for "dongles" which take SIM cards for the data connection and then provide a wifi hotspot that you connect to on your tablet.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 9

Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Thanks for this. Does a dongle needed a USB connection.  It crossed my mind that a dongle might be ok if the tablet has a plug in for one.  Does a dongle need a USB or is there another plug in on a Linx tablet for a dongle?

Also I will be in the North Sea (British waters most of the time, til we hit the Faroes  for 36 hrs)  Will a dongle work in these circumstances.??

PS

I have acquired 20.00 worth of 02 mobile data sim today to experiment with as wifi at sea can be mega expensive.     This doesnt mean I wouldnt try a dongle as well.

Best wishes

Message 3 of 9

Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions
PPS hi M15
Message 4 of 9

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Hi Jenny, no USB connection required as the dongle transmits a wifi signal to connect to.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 9

Wa10
Level 19: Quirky
  • 418 Posts
  • 32 Topics
  • 29 Solutions

Morning @Jenny105,

Something like this is probably what you are looking for. slight_smile

https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/mobile-broadband/huawei/4g-pocket-hotspot-plus/#contractType=paymonthly 

If it's just for occasional use then you may not benefit a great deal from the contract option, so it's also available as a PAYG with either 3 or 12 months worth  of data pre-loaded (well, 5GB which lasts up to 90 days, or 12GB which lasts up to a year).

https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/tariff/huawei/4g-pocket-hotspot-plus/?productId=636227e4-67c6-4a6f-8578-47...

There are plenty of cheaper options out there, but personally I've found the Huawei to be pretty bulletproof when I've used one. 

Worth considering as well that a lot of the places you mention potentially needing access are likely to have a wifi conntection available either for free or for a small charge (in the case of a cruise ship, likely a larger charge!!) so that may be an option for you - although if access on board the ship is most important then it would probably be a lot cheaper going with the dongle, as I know when I was looking at cruises a while back the wifi access charges were pretty eye watering.

Hope that helps a little. slight_smile 

I work for O2, however any advice or opinion given in this community should be considered my own and not necessarily representative of Telefónica UK Limited.
Message 6 of 9

Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions
Hi probably not for the North Sea or use 3 times a year. But the idea will be kept in case the situation changes
Message 7 of 9

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Check back with us when you do go Jenny as tech moves quickly these days and something new might be available then.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 9

Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Hi,  Ive been, I went . I returned  but never took the tablet with me.    I was given the wrong sim card in store. O2 online sent one out to me but there wasnt time to get assistance.

Watch this space I'm seeing a guru on Friday.

Best wishes

Message 9 of 9