cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade Virgin help please

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi My son has been a pay as you go O2 customer for years. He is 18 in about 5 months but wants to upgrade to a Simplicity 12 month contract.
Does anyone know if I can apply for him ( afterall the payment will be out of my account.)?
Can he keep his number without much fuss.( I see a new sim is sent out)?
He wants to add the web bolt on..does this mean free internet access via his mobile ?
Sorry to sound so dim as these are probably mundane questions but before we do the upgrade we need to know these few points.
Thanks
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions
Yes to all, except if you apply for the contract you accept full responsibility for running the account.

You cannot run an account in someone else's name.

Also contracts are not transferable.

Might be better to take out Simplicity with a one monthly contract in your name until he can apply for his own.

Worth bearing in mind that he will be credit assessed when he applies.

Hope this helps.
To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 2 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thnaks for the reply. I think I will take out the contarct in my name and just give him use of the phone..will that work ok do you think?
Thanks Dave
Message 3 of 9

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions
Yes, but I hate to say that youngsters don't always consider what they are doing when Mum or Dad pick up the bill.

My pal's daughter ran up an £800.00 bill on contract in one month, because she didn't understand what the monthly allowances were.

Apart from calls and texts, there are picture messages and most phones have web access, which can add up all too quickly.

I use Simplicity on a one month contract, 600 minutes, unlimited texts and free web access, so I know it is highly unlikely that I will ever go over that.

Also charges for use abroad can be amazingly expensive.

Hope this helps.
To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Message 4 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for your help perksie, I will not be paying any £800 bills and if they do happen my son can have that shock.
Thanks again
Message 5 of 9

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions
Happy to help.

Good luck.

Message 6 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Perhaps you might want to ask the mobile provider to put a stop on how much the account can go overboard (on credit). I've asked specifically for O2 to limit my spending to £80 per month. This will eliminate the possibility of unauthorised usage or accidental usage of their mobile phone lines.
Message 7 of 9

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions
Perhaps you might want to ask the mobile provider to put a stop on how much the account can go overboard (on credit). I've asked specifically for O2 to limit my spending to £80 per month. This will eliminate the possibility of unauthorised usage or accidental usage of their mobile phone lines.

Hi Pete

Have they actually done this for you?

Message 8 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
o2 wont place any call limits or restricts, it is completely down to the responsibility of the customer.
Message 9 of 9