Did you mean: 

Tagging guidelines

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi guys,

As many of you know, we have a tagging feature here on the O2 community. Tagging can be used to label the posts you make with keywords or phrases in order to help others to search for content. We can all help the community become easier to search by applying relevant tags.

Below a few guidelines to follow when applying tags to posts.

Guidelines:

• When you apply tags, please be aware that they're there to help bring up the correct search results. Think about what people would be searching for and if the thread you are tagging would be useful for them. Tagging something ‘just in case’ is probably not a good idea wink

• Please don’t view tags as an alternative thread subtitle, or at least not if the words are the same anyway. Topic titles are always indexed anyway, so tags are not needed to do that job (e.g, if your thread is called ‘iPhone 5’, there is no need to tag it with the same name).

• There is no need to use inverted ‘commas’ on tags, as the Lithium search engine does not need them to search.

• All tag-words are automatically included in search results, so there is no need for duplication of words in the tags applied. Writing ‘HTC One’ 5 times will not make the post 5 times as likely to show up at the top of a search.

• Remember that tags are separated by spaces, so writing a multi-word phrase as a tag may lead to individual tags that make little sense on their own.

• In most cases it’s the answers that need to be tagged and not questions, as that’s the info that most other members will be looking for when searching.

• When looking for posts to tag, try to select the post that gives the most helpful/ informative/ comprehensive answer to a question. Remember that when someone goes to read a tagged post they'll probably look at the rest of the topic as well, so tagging every post in a thread isn't usually necessary

• Tagging something as O2 is never useful as everything here is about O2

In case you're still a bit unsure, I've written an example post and below it are relevant tags:

"Hi guys

I'm having some issues with the internet access on my phone. I cannot access Youtube and Facebook apps and my Safari browser does not load anything. What can I do?
Cheers"

Tags: Data, iPhone, Apps, Connectivity
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

Thank you for clarifying the tagging guidelines Toby slight_smile

Message 2 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks for the heads up

Message 3 of 5

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35208 Posts
  • 223 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

How can the current list of # tags on the forum be displayed?

I've grown accustomed to the #Corona one, very handy - but some others are not quite as obvious.

Shame they only appear in Full view, not Mobile view 😫

Screenshot_20200419-103047.jpg

Message 4 of 5

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@pgn 

It's just a case of hitting the correct word in the guide title. If you use them a lot, you tend to remember.

If you look at this list of guides, they can all be found using the #

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-and-Services/Index-of-Community-Guides/m-p/638349#U6383... 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 5