cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Security Protection for O2 customers??

Anonymous
Not applicable
WHY WHY WHY?? did O2 not ask for security details from customers who pay for Prepay top up?? Reason i ask is that iam the unfortunate customer who had their Debit card details copied by Scum that used it to buy £30 worth of credit from O2. I have had to cancel my bank cards and get the Banks Fraud Dept to investigate Un authorised payments that O2 allowed to go through. now iam out of pocket by £30 thanks to O2 taking payment and not CHECKING to make sure that the card was geniune and i mean that O2 could have asked security questions relating to the card ie security number from the card or password / date of birth from the card holder. WHY don't O2 do this to protect their customers????????
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
I understand what you are saying BUt the fact remains that O2 are the ones to blame for lack of security and protection and allow un-authorised transactions to go through.

DO you Work for O2?

Yes i understand that a card can be copied, but how in #### would they know my Date of Birth and address??? That is not known when they copy a card.

And How does an up to date Computer virus help when the Scum use the mobile telephone to do the TOP-UP????
Message 2 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
It can be quite easy to obtain names and addresses,
But if you take proper precautions to prevent this happening you can minimise the loss, BUT when conpanies like O2 authorise fraudulent transactions, how can you win!?

1) don't throw your bank statements or other bills in the bin SHRED IT

2)Don't enter your details on facebook or MySpace where it's on public view?

3)Don't let any company ask for copies of your birth certificate, wedding certificate,or any other certificate.

4)Don't post your CV on a jobsite?

5)Do Have a look around here: http://www.aboutidentitytheft.co.uk/

It might also be an idea for a company like O2 to put more protection in place, dont you think???????

Anonymous
Not applicable
I understand what you are saying BUt the fact remains that O2 are the ones to blame for lack of security and protection and allow un-authorised transactions to go through.
DO you Work for O2?
Yes i understand that a card can be copied, but how in #### would they know my Date of Birth and address??? That is not known when they copy a card.
And How does an up to date Computer virus help when the Scum use the mobile telephone to do the TOP-UP????

you can get any information about anyone in the right places , Your card most probably didnt even get cloned from a shop it will have been details bought over the net with all the rest of you details for a very small price then all they do is clone the card.
Message 4 of 13

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions
Sheepdog, you read my mind.

I also work in IT and my brian hurts with passwords, user logins etc and whats even more fun, they change either every week or every month.
Some passwords last for a few hours.
Then you have to remeber what you need to do when you do log in, lol grin

I work in paperless office so i cant write anything down and I have to beep every door I go through and to even the loo. (no passwords there wink )

There has to be a balance and sometimes its not easy getting it right.
Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 5 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Same thing happened to me recently. £30 prepay charge that wasn't mine.

I've never had PAYG but assume you have to enter a code into the phone or something when topping up? I also assume the code has to be verified some way. Is there no way this code can be traced back to the mobile and then have it blacklisted if it's been used to commit a fraudulent transaction?
Message 6 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Please read the Help Topic @ viewtopic.php?p=68319#68319 which relates to this issue. grin
Message 7 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well it seems that i started a wide topic of conversation relating to fraululent activity on O2 and in particular Top Up from O2 Headquarters in Slough???? :robotindifferent:
It seems to me that both Andy Manchester & Sheepdog are very well Informed with regards this problem, and as they have Reminded everyone time & again that we Must be careful with our Personal Details.

I finally got this O2 Scam sorted with my Bank after being told by the Banks Fraud Dept that O2 are well aware that this is happening to Everyone but there's nothing O2 are doing about it, Well howabout Security Investigations into Their Headquarters in Slough? That would be a start as that is where ALL the transactions are being made, Perhaps a check on their Staff maybe? as with all Investigations in the begining they all start with insiders?And that eventually with proof/evidence, leads to criminal proceedings.

I would be interested if O2 has considered taking this next step?

What say you Andy Manchester & Sheepdog?? :womanindifferent:
Message 8 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have only been an 02 customer on pay monthly for a couple of months and recently have been unable to enter the site to access my account info. The site said my password was incorrect, although I knew it was not! I therefore had it reset and changed the password, the next day my password wouldn't work again! Then, to my surprise my bank statement showed a prepay card payment of £30, 42p off my actual valid bill payment due out a day later! - coincidence :robotindifferent: I think not. How would anyone be able to override my passwords twice :robotindifferent: With the fraudulent payment being only 42p out, who has been accessing my account and checking my bill to estimate this so I don't notice - and changing my password so I can't check! This is the first time I have ever been a victim of card fraud and really feel that an internal investigation should be carried out at 02 - regardless! If I could enter the site I would also check my billing address as I haven't received either of the 2 paper bills - has this been changed too!? :robotindifferent: 😞 My bank have not passed this on to their fraud team - what a nightmare!
Message 9 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
You need to provide a full CRB disclosure thingy.

The prepay scam is very well known and its not just o2 that its done to. Its not done by card cloning or anything like it, its just a computer that generates numbers, fraudsters then test their numbers on little things like top ups (unregistered so can't be traced) to see if they work before using them for riskier stuff.

O2 are doing the best they can, do you think its in their best interests to have to keep giving banks the money back every time its done?
Message 10 of 13