Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RFID/NFC

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions

How many people have started utilising this tech in your phones or credit/debit cards?

I have a friend who has developed a case for NFC equipped phone that can distort the signal unless its being actively used by the user.

He also has developed a credit card sized deflecter for use in wallet applications (saves buying a new wallet/you can keep the wallet/purse of your choice)

I'm just trying to gather info into the useage of the tech before I drop some money into his designs to further the concepts:)

Look forward to your replies:)

EDIT:I think I've posted in the wrong section and it won't let me delete:( rather than spam if a mod could move it:)

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 1 of 46
45 REPLIES 45

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149442 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28498 Solutions
I haven't linked NFC to any cards as I don't trust the security aspect of it at the mo, but I use it to control BT when I get into the car and change profiles when I am at home/at work etc.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 46

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions

Agreed NFC skimming is all to cheap and easy to do at the moment hence the interest in my friends designs:)

He's managed to block 9/11 different skimmers he's acquired. Appears to have a 83% success rate at blocking attacks from all distances. The last two he's still working on account for the last 17%

if we could push the concept to block 99% of attacks minimum would you considered using NFC more?

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 3 of 46

MI5
  • 149442 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28498 Solutions
I'd consider it but there are always the possibilities of advancements in the skimming world.... You'd have to keep on top of the rogues developments.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 4 of 46

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Of course that's the biggest problem is to stay ahead of the people that stand to gain illicitly from it.

Skimmers fortunately are limited by the laws of physics:) if my friend can push the tech to the extent of 99%(I won't say 100% because there's always of the off chance nothing's perfect)

I don't believe tech would be able to overcome the problem he plans to introduce. Annoyingly it's still in the process of a patent application so I can't discuss specifics:(
Message 5 of 46

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Very good, if these work I can see them selling like hot cakes.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 6 of 46

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Annoyingly uk police are actively hunting people purchasing skimmers online:( he could get done for it haha.

I can't imagine the wallet version costing much more than £3-5

The phone one is a bit more complex and it does annoyingly drop the signal a fraction:( we're only talking 3db though.
Message 7 of 46

MI5
  • 149442 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28498 Solutions
Sounds great... I'd be happy to test it out if it's as good as you say slight_smile
Message 8 of 46

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Imagine a bit more testing if I finance it.

Only thing is I want to be sure of its ability don't want to sell somthing and get sued:(

Obviously be looking for people to criticise it if done:)
Message 9 of 46

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Just need to find a legitimate way to test without raising police suspicion were doing something fraudulent haha
Message 10 of 46