Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Premium rate services petition to O2

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143421 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

EE have introduced a 2!step verification process for premium rate services. 

Vodafone allow customers full control within the My Vodafone app. 

O2 currently do nothing and many thousands of customers are scammed out of a lot of money every month. 

What will you do O2!to keep up with the competition and protect your customers or are you happy to take a cut and leave customers exposed?

if you want to add your voice to this, please comment below. 

Over to you, O2 ?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 1 of 109
108 REPLIES 108

Mings
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have received a text informing me that I have subscribed to Jammitup for £4.50 every week. I have certainly not done so. The £4.50 has been added to my bill. I took your advice and asked for bars to be put on the account (direct to bill debits and premium rate charges). I also phoned the 0330 number quoted on the text and demanded a refund along with unsubscribing: I was told that an adviser would phone back within 24 hrs but I haven't heard anything. I have also registered with the Telephone Preference Service. I should like to add my name to your petition to O2. O2 should make sure that their customer has authorised the direct to bill debit before processing it. It appears that this has been going on for a long time so O2 must be aware that this kind of scam exists.

Message 91 of 109

Giant-Michael
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

just joined to find I am not the only one being scammed.

It leaves a bad feeling that the phone company I have used for both our phones can allow this to happen for so long without applying an automatic block on what appear to be a straight forward con.

Message 92 of 109

Loops2012
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I also agree as this has recently happened to me and I can not get the charges refunded.
Message 93 of 109

Simon241
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 54 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Surely this should be a standard obligation under OFCOM regulations?

Message 94 of 109

MI5
  • 143421 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Simon241 wrote:

Surely this should be a standard obligation under OFCOM regulations?

EE and Vodsfone think so too, but you have to remember that O2 are in denial of any issue ever being their responsibility or feel the need to protect their customers when they can screw them for more money......

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 95 of 109

Jaded
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Also happy to add my name to this - the lack of assistance with what it essentially fraud is a disgrace

Message 96 of 109

MeName
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

And another one adding to this petition.

I received this scam text SATurday "FreeMsg: Thanks for subscribing to your FREE trial for New Level Games from BonaFideMobile. Unlimited games for 24hrs then £4.50 every week until you text STOP NLG to 83463. "

I was in the Science Museum at the time, phone not being used & I had absolutely NOT subscribed to this.

Online searches: some said ignore, some said text stop. Tried the latter & got warning of additional charges. Rang O2 customer help & as far as I know now all premium charges are blocked.

BUT I think that O2 should not allow charges against my account without my explicit authorisation. I was amazed that such action should be legal in the first instance. So, O2, you shold do as petition asks AND explain why you support scams / fraudulent action.

Message 97 of 109

jonsie
  • 92913 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

MI5
  • 143421 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
But I think we’ve got the message!

Currently using:
Message 99 of 109

Payforit_Sucks
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 210 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

Under the 'Payforit' Rules, O2 are required to allow customers to escalate disputes to them when they have proof that they have "discussed" their dispute with the company which took their money.Screenshot 20**Personal info** 10.15.05.png

O2 provided the following description to Ofcom of how the system is supposed to work:

O2 procedures.png

O2 routinely refuse to help customers who have been refused a refund by the scam company which took their money.

Has anyone who has been defrauded via Payforit asked why O2 are failing to follow their own rules and policies?

If you've been defrauded via O2 Payforit, you may also have a case to complain under GDPR. Background and details here:

https://payforitsucks.co.uk/gdpr-issues/

Phone payment scam? Need independent advice? Payforit Faq for O2 Customers

Help put a stop to these scams. Join our Facebook Group
Message 100 of 109