Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opensignal 4G coverage report

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12082 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1125 Solutions
Opensignal have released their latest network experience report, and it's mixed results for o2.
Despite improving on several fronts, they were well behind EE on most scores.
Link to the report (and the website I fpund it on):
https://5g.co.uk/news/ee-best-mobile-experience-report/5066/

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123019 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7471 Solutions

Thanks for that @gmarkj 

So O2 and 3 weren't the winner of anything!!

EE looks to be the Lewis Hamilton of the networks with their 5 world championships awards.

Blimey!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 11

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Sponsored by EE perhaps?

I note that the "regions" of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are classed as individual regions with things like hills and mountains in the way. They also cover a larger area than London does which has multiple masts so the survey is missing the density of masts which would be more accurate to actual availability.

As I keep pointing out to everyone, unless the sample size is stated the percentages are pointless. I mean if the sample size is 4 people in the middle of Trafalgar Square and 3 of agree then thats 75% saying its an accurate representation of the country. Hmmmm ok. Then there's statistical weighting but going off on a slight tangent here.

However, I shall pop in an EE sim card this week and check if they've managed to actually get a signal to my area without it being blown away by a gust of wind. 

Message 3 of 11

Cleoriff
  • 123019 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7471 Solutions

@sheepdog wrote:

However, I shall pop in an EE sim card this week and check if they've managed to actually get a signal to my area without it being blown away by a gust of wind. 

joy Please let us know how you get on @sheepdog 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

I’ve tried a few networks recently before deciding where to pitch my tent and I’ve found EE to be the best for signal & speed. I live in the Midlands and move around rural & urban every week.

Vodafone were great at home & rurally but no signal in town at all. (Customer service dire)
O2 had slower speeds and fewer bars of signal but little to no signal rurally. (trying get a number ported across was disastrous)
Three were great at home and in town but no signal at all out in the sticks. (Foreign customer service unable to solve basic problems)

But EE seems to be great everywhere. In town I’m getting 60-70mb on a good day & 20-30 on a bad one. Out in the sticks it’s a lot slower but still 1-2 bars.

It was great advice from a member of this forum to try each network before picking..

Message 5 of 11

Projectionist
  • 275 Posts
  • 18 Topics
  • 8 Solutions

I've found this OFCOM site to be pretty accurate - certainly more honest than network provider coverage checkers   https://checker.ofcom.org.uk/mobile-coverage

That said, my feeling is that 4G & 5G is the emperor's new trousers - we're all led to believe in its wonder and majesty, but I've yet to find anything I use that 3G is too slow for, so 4G isn't enabled on my phone any more. Battery seems to last longer now though...

Using Pixel 4 ( O2 + 1pMobile) , Samsung E1182 ( geosim + dtac)
Message 6 of 11

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

EE are by far, very far, the better network in my experience and I've had a O2 account for over 20 years. When it comes to tethering the laptop my EE account is twice as fast as O2. Streaming on Netflix on my TV is near impossible with my O2 account.

Message 7 of 11

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Well just to update you on my EE coverage. I managed to put £10 on a PAYG. Even though I did it online, it took a long time to get a signal and the confirmation text as the signal quality wasn't good even outdoors. Contrary to what the EE coverage page says (4 of 5 bars of 4G) it hasn't improved since then (10 days) even with the phone next to the window! Also: no wind smile

3's coverage checker says no 4G or 3G in my area so I'll try that next to prove it rofl

Message 8 of 11

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
I can sit inside my mums (in the sticks) with 3 bars & get 2-3 mb, stand outside and it’s back to 20.

The bars of signal has always confused me.. it’s not a great indicator..
Message 10 of 11