cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 web top up experience

Anonymous
Not applicable

I bought a new iphone 6 last month with a £15 Big Bundle package on it. It expired today, 

Looking at my usage, I decided to drop to the £10 Big Bundle package ( mainly on wifi at the moment) - and went to do a web top up. I have now tried, 3 different cards (1 x debit, 2 x credit) - 4 times on the web , twice via the  4444 number and once via the land line number -and in all cases it fails. 

Chat support can see the phone but can't understand why it won't work.

They suggest driving to a store (30 mile round trip). What an awful user experience. No useful messages - ( something seems to have failed please try later) - support can't help - and no-one has a clue. The cards online did a 3d secure validation - so clearly the card is OK otherwise it wouldn't have requested this - and the funds are available.

Has anyone else experienced something like this ?

Thx

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93262 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

A few people have had problems and usually registering the card with customer service against your mobile number solves the problems you are having. No help to you at this time of night I know. It could also be a system issue which would right itself in time with the help of O2 technicians.

Just a thought though, most mobile banking apps allow top up now so you could possibly try that route or it's a trip to an ATM to top up.

Message 2 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 124030 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7503 Solutions

Could the OP be having this problem due to the fact they have decided to drop the Big Bundle package?

It could be, as they signed up for it, they would have to get it changed by talking to customer services and then register the cards once the change has been approved.?

Just speaking from my own past experience when I was on PAYG ...:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Jonsie- Thank you for the reply. When i read it I suddenly realised that the ATM would probably work as that is a PIN validated transaction - so O2 would view that as less risk.

Sure enough - it worked.

I figure that I had bought the phone with an Amex card-  and was trying to top up with a different card (because the web payments page doesn't support Amex 🙂 -  it was probably triggering some in-house fraud rules.

I think O2 should try and join up the dots of what they want to support.

thx again  - maybe O2 should offer you a job 🙂

Message 4 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 124030 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7503 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Jonsie- Thank you for the reply. When i read it I suddenly realised that the ATM would probably work as that is a PIN validated transaction - so O2 would view that as less risk.

Sure enough - it worked.

I figure that I had bought the phone with an Amex card-  and was trying to top up with a different card (because the web payments page doesn't support Amex 🙂 -  it was probably triggering some in-house fraud rules.

I think O2 should try and join up the dots of what they want to support.

thx again  - maybe O2 should offer you a job 🙂

Hi @Anonymous 

I did smile at you last comment re jonsie...because he did work for them at one time LOL

And yes....there are only certain cards O2 will accept now. Maestro is also one of the unsupported ones...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi @Anonymous 

When u try too many times the system can stop you. What I would say is next time you try 4444 if it fails let the call get transferred to customer services ( it will be free this way) and they will check the error message.If there isn't any they can send it for investigation and get to the bottom of it, so that you don't have any more problems in the future.Hope this helps slight_smile

Message 6 of 10

jonsie
  • 93262 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

I'm happy you were able to top up but as @Anonymous says, sometimes numerous attempts to top up can trigger a security issue on the system. I would certainly call customer service to register a card but I always top up my son's P&G via my phone app.

Message 7 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 124030 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7503 Solutions

I have 2 cards registered with O2. Like @jonsie I use them to top up my son and daughter in laws phones (when they are 'experiencing a frequent hardship'....) Too frequent for my liking...but hey needs must ...if I want them to keep in touch Smiley Very Happy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 10

jonsie
  • 93262 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

Maybe topping up at the ATM (if a UK card) will register that card against the mobile number....?

Message 9 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

I top up the husband's number and my parents trough the Natwest app...so simple...choose top up symbol, already have the numbers and names saved, choose which one,choose amount and ...Go! 2/3 minutes and it's there slight_smile

Message 10 of 10