cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 travel... flat fee can be a real rip-off

Anonymous
Not applicable

I work in Europe most weeks travelling Monday and returning on Thursday.

I have used O2 travel for a while and at £1.99 it's cheaper and more flexible than some rival providers. 

However, since the recent ruling limiting roaming charges for calls and texts it doesn't seem to be sensible.

Call and text charges are now so low that you would need to be speaking almost constantly to get above the £1.99 threshold. Data charges are still high so if you are out and about all the time it makes sense to use O2 travel.  

If however, you are able to use Wifi locally there is little need for data usage but you still get charged the full £1.99 if you reply to a text or call someone for a couple of minutes.  

I can't turn the service on for the days I travel but turn it off for the times I have wifi in work and hotel.

So, I end up either not using data when travelling which is annoying when trying to find location on maps, train times etc, or not texting colleagues because I'd be charged the full £1.99 for a 2p text.

It's not much money but at £1.99 a day it works out nearly £40 a month.

Can't the service be changed to a cap of £1.99 but if you use less you're only charged for what you use?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions
Good idea, but I doubt O2 will change to that.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 13

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23044 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3669 Solutions

@Anonymous An alternative would be to get a Three Pay & Go sim, as there are no roaming charges for data in many European countries.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Couldn't agree more.
I turn data roaming off and use wifi when in my home in Spain but I got charged the full amount when someone left me a voicemail. I can't control that!

Message 4 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks.  It's an idea but I don't really want to change my number or have to change sim everytime I want to do something different. 

Message 5 of 13

jonsie
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6956 Solutions

O2 have only recently changed this so are unlikely to do as you say. Sending the odd text now makes sense to opt out but no one as yet knows how Brexit will affect us, especially when EU legislation stated that roaming charges would be abolished next year. Those standard rates may well rise once clause 50 is invoked.

Message 6 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Doubt it would be a problem once clause 50 invoked - only when actually leave..... 

Message 7 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

I was told today on O2 chat that when one texts 23336 to turn the 02 travel off or on it only works from the following midnight  - it is not instant. So that could be awkward in your situation as you would have to think ahead!

It's a profit making concern, not one that helps customers with an easy to use service.

Message 8 of 13

MI5
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions

LW15551 wrote:

It's a profit making concern, not one that helps customers with an easy to use service.

In your opinion, of course wink

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 13

jonsie
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6956 Solutions

incidentally, how do you find data speeds in Europe? Some say it's unusable whilst others have no problem...

Message 10 of 13