cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 poor coverage - why?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have been with O2 for about 6 months after 16 years with Orange. On my last upgrade, O2 had better deals.

But I am amazed at how poor O2's coverage is, especially when compared with Orange/T-Mobile. I live within a mile of Canterbury city centre and within a mile of the dual carriageway A2 but the signal is not good enough to keep a voice conversation going. My phone always shows that Orange or T-Mobile are in range but the O2 signal just keeps dropping out.

We have just been to the Chichester area. Same again - although very near the A27, O2 coverage is terrible. Again, Orange coverage is fine.

It looks as if I made a big mistake changing to O2. Are they not investing in their network? I wonder if as one of the older providers they are not upgrading their antiquated transmission equipment?

I had expected much better.
Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
Indeed, it looks like no investment in towers. Just advertising.
There is no real excuse for such poor coverage in such a small country with such a large population.
Message 11 of 24

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Indeed, it looks like no investment in towers. Just advertising.
There is no real excuse for such poor coverage in such a small country with such a large population.

O2 actually spend over a million pounds a day on network improvements, but there will always be areas where coverage is patchy.

It's wireless not magic unfortunately, if you study the coverage maps you will see how difficult it is to cover the whole country, which is unlikely to ever happen.

http://www.o2.co.uk/coveragechecker

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 12 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

@perksie wrote:
O2 actually spend over a million pounds a day on network improvements

I have asked O2 Admin to be directed to the proof of this claim by O2 but so far it has not been posted.

£365,000,000 p.a. is a lot of dosh......even if it's just working days, £253,000,000 is still a heck of a bundle.

Personally, I would doubt the claim until specific data was published. 

Message 13 of 24

ewanrw
Level 10: Inspirational
  • 342 Posts
  • 15 Topics
  • 9 Solutions
You know that the coverage checker (as with all networks) is based on a mathematical prediction, and does not represent actual coverage?

All the networks claim circa 99% population coverage, and 95% landmass but it's rubbish. The BBC did a survey in 2010/11 which mapped out actual coverage, and the networks should be embarrassed (will try and find the link to survey results).

Personally I very much doubt that any network is currently investing in their 3G coverage, as 4G will make it null and void in a year or two.

ewan
Message 14 of 24

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Re-stated by the CEO here, why would he not be telling the truth?

http://news.o2.co.uk/2012/08/17/post-olympics-4g-is-lining-up-in-the-network-fast-lane/

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Message 15 of 24

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@ewanrw wrote:
Personally I very much doubt that any network is currently investing in their 3G coverage, as 4G will make it null and void in a year or two.

ewan

No doubt much of that infrastructure will still be needed.

Message 16 of 24

ewanrw
  • 342 Posts
  • 15 Topics
  • 9 Solutions
No doubt some of the infrastructure (masts/power supply) will still be needed, but I believe 4G will require entirely new transmission equipment in most cases, so I just don't see any network spending huge amounts on improving the 3G footprint, when 4G is just around the corner. Not too mention the £Bns the 4G rollout will cost them.

Anyway, regards coverage in general, in Scotland, unless you are on O2 or Voda, you will struggle for signal outside of cities and large towns. To say a network has poor coverage is usually in relation to a specific set of circumstances, and if O2 doesn't work for you, try Voda (will soon be identical to O2 coverage) or T-Mob/Orange/3 who use the poorer quality 1800MHz frequency.

Just my 2p worth.

ewan
Message 17 of 24

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

All the o2 equipment that is being replaced as part of the 3 year deal jan 2011 (2 companies one up north one down south) will make all the existing 2g and 3g kit compatable with 4g as a software update when required the 2g and 3g bands will still be used and 4g will provide the main data path as far as I can make out reading all the snippets posted on many news sites.

re 3 year upgrade see here http://www.fiercewireless.com/europe/story/ericsson-and-nsn-share-o2-uk-network-upgrades/2011-01-28  .

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 18 of 24

ewanrw
  • 342 Posts
  • 15 Topics
  • 9 Solutions

So new transmission equipment then wink

I wonder if they need permission from the local authority the base station is located in to turn on a new frequency?

Also, regarding the point about how much the networks spend on improvements, if the network sharing programs that EE and now Voda/O2 are doing, are expected to save them £Bn's in maintenence costs, do you reckon they'll still quote £1M or £1.5M per day of investment? Surely they can't reduce costs, yet continue to invest on the same overhead? Or will the savings lead to increased investment? 

ewan

P.S. Or the savings could just be translated as extra profit!

Message 19 of 24

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

new equipment yes hence the 1.5 million a day quoted elsewhere

And no planning would be required as far as I understand it only for new sites. A good guide to planning law regarding masts http://www2.redbridge.gov.uk/cms/planning_and_the_environment/planning/mobile_phone_masts.aspx hints that not all new masts need planning

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 20 of 24