cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is O2 spamming me with SMS whenever I restart my phone?

PaddyL
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Since I've been with O2 (I was moved over from Virgin Mobile over a year ago), voicemail has worked perfectly. I have no problems with it.

For the past few weeks, however, whenever I restart my phone (I do this every morning), O2 spams me with the following SMS several times:

Thanks for activating Visual Voicemail. Note: if you have data turned off, or can't get data coverage, you'll need to dial 901 to check for messages.

The attached screencast shows this morning's messages, ten of them received between 7:01 and 7:13. Sometimes, they're all on the trot like this morning, but sometimes they come in gradually over a period of about an hour.

It's rather irritating — Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! … So, I have to turn on my phone's Do Not Disturb until O2 has finished spamming me.

Why is O2 doing this, and more important, how can I get it to stop doing this?

Phone: Pixel 2XL

Thank you

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Enlli
Level 67: Unsung hero
  • 7810 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 1643 Solutions

Turn Visual Voicemail off in your Vocmail settings found in the phone dialer.

That will sort it 

It's hardly spam

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 2 of 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 148994 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28448 Solutions

@PaddyL 

Open the phone app.

Go to settings >voicemail and turn off visual voicemail.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 3 of 7

PaddyL
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Enlli and @MI5 

(Sorry for the late response. The forum didn't email me, even though I ticked, "Email me when someone replies".)

Thank you for the advice. I don't want to turn off visual voicemail; I like its functionality. I just don't understand why, in the past few weeks, it has started this bizarre behaviour of sending me multiple text messages whenever I restart my phone! It didn't used to do that before.

The record so far (at least, when I've bothered to count) is 14 duplicate text messages in under half an hour.

I suppose that I should contact O2 Customer Support to ask if they have a solution to this.

Message 4 of 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 148994 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28448 Solutions

Must be another of O2's "improvements" @PaddyL 😉

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 5 of 7

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 11406 Posts
  • 62 Topics
  • 3154 Solutions

It's a bug with how android reconnects to the VVM service on some of the Pixel Devices, as don't get it on my Xperia 1V but used to have it on my Pixel Fold..  

And to be fair your 2XL is 7 years old and won't pick up any of the software updates to fix stuff like this as you can only go to Android 11 

I would have a look on the Pixel Community as sure I have read this happening on other networks..  @PaddyL 

--
iPhone 15 Pro Max - o2 and Spusu
Xperia 1V - Spusu

--
This is not customer services and we dont have access to your account
I do not work for o2 or any VMo2 /Telefonica/Liberty Global Company
Message 6 of 7

PaddyL
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you, @madasaf1sh . Yes, the phone is getting on a bit, although it's still a good phone! I suppose that I'll have to start looking at a new one soon.

Message 7 of 7