Did you mean: 

O2 Travel USA

Anthony1002
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi all,

just wondering what speeds everyone is getting with O2 Travel to the US? We're going to LA in a couple of weeks and just want to plan whether or not we need to buy a sim when we're out there. I know that O2 has improved a lot in Europe, so hoping it's the same in the US...!

Thanks in advance slight_smile 

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144083 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions

@Anthony1002 from reports on here it's still not good.

Recommendation is a Three sim from the UK or a T-Mobile or AT&T sim when in the USA.

Make sure your phone is unlocked first though https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/Unlocking-an-O2-phone-to-use-a-different-SIM-card/ba-p/1...

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 11

Cleoriff
  • 122767 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

Hi @Anthony1002

It tends to vary as to the time of year. AT&T and T mobile are the networks to use....

If you want to use ea local sim, you will need to get your phone unlocked

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/Unlocking-an-O2-phone-to-use-a-different-SIM-card/ba-p/1...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 11

jonsie
  • 93157 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

Data speeds aren't good from the reports we've had here and any usage will trigger the daily charge even if connection is difficult. 

Message 4 of 11

Anthony1002
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you all for your replies.

Does anyone know if Three have 4G in the US? I was hoping to use my phone as a Sat Nav when out there.

Message 5 of 11

MI5
  • 144083 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
Only 3g as far as I know but at least it works !
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 11

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23038 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3668 Solutions

@Anthony1002 Three do not have 4G in the US. You would be better off getting a T-Mobile or AT&T Pay & Go sim when you arrive in the US if faster data is important to you.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 7 of 11

iphone4sir
Level 6: Acolyte
  • 160 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 3 Solutions
I used in the Vegas last April and the speeds where about 0.5mb - even though the phone said 4g - I know right! It was actually useable for general message and stuff but maps where useless - I’d recommend local sim
Message 8 of 11

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

Hi @Anthony1002

Three do have 4G access while roaming on AT&T. This was signed by them in Mid November 2018.

However this is where there is a but.

USA network frequencies are not the same as EU or the rest of the world.

So even if Three have got 4G access, doesn’t mean your phone will be able to support the 4G frequency in the USA. Also it doesn’t say to which part of the 4G frequency they have access to. 

When 4G was created, over 40+ variants of frequencies have been produced and lots of phones only support a few of them, this general covers the phone in the country/region it’s purchase from.

What phone are you wanting to use will depend on what lte bands it has in it.

Also as it’s been mentioned. Even if you were to connect to the 4G network, doesn’t mean you will get 4G speeds.  Roaming outside the EU has a different and doverened by what roaming deal was signed.

regarding speeds etc.  Network may say they have access to 3G and 4G. But they don’t have to say what speed.

clever wording like, speeds will be dependant of many factors such as useage, weather, roaming network provider, times of the day etc.

Hope the above helps.  

Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 9 of 11

Andy7856
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 35 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi, have you not considered an off line map package? I have used "Here" in quite a few countries with pretty much good results.
Message 10 of 11