Did you mean: 

O2 4G speed

0x1D
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi,

I've been a very happy O2 customer for more than 2 years, barely noticing any issues with the connection. My up/down links were so much better than the dodgy wired "broadband" that I discontinued the wired connection and just stick with the O2 4G for everything, including working from home.

I had no issue throughout all last year up until a couple of months ago when I started noticing unusual slowdowns and breakups. First, it was my daily standup video calls with colleagues: they couldn't hear me properly, I was breaking up and my screen-share didn't work; then later abnormal slowdown with the download speed as well.

It's very random and most of the time an airplane mode on/off will solve the issue but not always.

The coverage indicator hasn't changed, I still have full bars as before.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the Virgin Media merger? I used to be a Virgin customer and consider their service one of the worst in the land. I always had full coverage yet many times simply no connection. And noticed this in Cambridge and London as well. I'm really worried that their "quality" is now transferred to O2, where I didn't have any problems before.

Please see the attached screenshot of speeds form today, Sunday evening when it should be better than normal (since not a business hour)

Screenshot 20**Personal info** at 17.58.16.png

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10130 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 2995 Solutions
@0x1D

Absolutely nothing to do with VM and the Joint Venture, as the 2 are separate at a Mobile Network Level.

There maybe existing backhaul services across VM's fibre network, as a backup or primary to any other suppliers fibre network.

Sunday evenings are now prime time, with people been at home, and using more and more data services.

So it could just be congestion and contention on the mast you are connected to.

Ookla aka speed test, is not I trust for speed tests, I would recommend trying as well OpenSignal
Have you had a look on https://status.o2.co.uk ?
It might also be worth installing the o2 my network app and reporting on their as well.
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 2 of 6

0x1D
  • 5 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

This is right now:

IMG_9111.jpg

No matter how I put it, this is not OK. Same result for subsequent tests.

Message 3 of 6

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12045 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1122 Solutions
Did you check for any mast issues on the my network app/status website above?
If not, try reporting the slow speeds there and see if you get any feedback.
Any issues you are having are not going to be down to the merger - nothing would have been done on that yet as it was only announced a few weeks ago.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 4 of 6

0x1D
  • 5 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I haven't reported yet but will install the app now. Thanks.

Message 5 of 6

Elec-trickerist
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Out of interest, what is your data allowance? My speeds have slowed down since I hit 90% of my allowance. I've changed my plan because I needed to up my data anyway, but if it is O2 slowing us down once we approach our data limit, and doing so without warning of a slowdown, then that's not a good look from O2

Message 6 of 6