cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nokia N78 Software Update, when will we see this?

Anonymous
Not applicable
It's been a long time since the n78 had it's first software patch released (v12.something) and O2 still hasn't approved that.

Now v20.149.051.1 is out and still no update. When can we expect to see this O2? We have been waiting too long.
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions
Surely you can get this directly from Nokia.

http://europe.nokia.com/A41459966
To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 2 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
No we can't. For Network phones Nokia can't let you download and install the update unless it is approved by O2.

v12 was released July 08 and v13 December 08. It can't take them that long to test it. They either don't know about it or are lazy.

I want to use it over-the-air as well, it's no good sending my phone off for a week as I will be without a phone for way too long.
Message 3 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
i wouldn't hold your breath waiting mate. o2 have got you signed up to a contract so there not bothered anymore. ive been with o2 for many years and had the same problem with previous nokia's. the n73 was very buggy upon release and had serious bluetooth problems, nokia released a firmware update but o2 dont invest enough resources into phone support so didnt come up with a branded version.

only way round this is changing product code on phone by reflashing and downloading generic euro firmware but this puts you on dodgy ground with o2 and there warranty.

this has been raised before on this forum but o2 dont take a blind bit of notice,

http://forum.o2.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=5092&highlight=nokia+firmware
Message 4 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
I received this email from O2:

"Hello Shreedhan

Thanks for emailing us to find out if you can update the software on your Nokia N78.

The software we're currently providing with the Nokia N78 is the v11.043, which you currently have. This software was accredited on 17 June 2008. Please note that we don't offer a software upgrade on your Nokia N78. If you want to upgrade the software on your Nokia N78, you'll need to contact the manufacturer (Nokia).

I can understand that you want to know when the new versions of the software for the Nokia N78 will be made available. I'm unable to confirm when the new versions of the software for the Nokia N78 will be made available. This information isn't currently available to us.

We need feedback such as yours to help us identify any area of our service which our customers feel is in need of review. Changes are then made on a regular basis, which reflect what our customers are telling us.

I hope I've explained this clearly for you. For further information on your account and our products please check our website on: o2.co.uk"

I have replied saying that he's wrong and O2 need to clear the update so we can download it from Nokia.
Message 5 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Still no update available - this is ridiculous
Message 6 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
all nokia updates are available from www.nokia.co.uk
Message 7 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
I realsie updates are avaiable from teh Nokia site, but O2 have to approve them first before they can be added to the phone. Thsu even though an update was release almost a year ago, O2 still haven't bothered to approve it yet, thus everyone's N78 (on O2) is way out of date right now.
Message 8 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
I too am an owner of an O2 N78 with very buggy software.

Has anyone considered contacting the BBC program 'Watchdog' to try and push this for us.
This is obviously O2 not looking after their customers correctly and even lied to us (RE letter to Shreedhan)
This will obviously be bad PR for O2 if they do investigate it and may result in us getting the new firmware (eventually)!

thoughts!
Message 9 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
well almost a year later and still nothing. ####.
Message 10 of 11