cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPhone Faulty on Monthly Contract - O2 Hopeless

Anonymous
Not applicable
My son phoned 02 today as his iPhone is almost unusable after Apples latest upgrade. Apple have admitted the problem to my son but claim they are working on it.

So he phoned 02 where we pay £35 a month. They said tough the phone is out of warranty and to contact Apple. I can't find the contract anywhere in My 02...not surprising on the worst website in the world.

But this can't be right can it ? The phone is almost unusable and we have no phone and no service yet still have to pay £35 a month. Don't 02 have a responsibility to provide a service to a phone they have supplied that isn't broken but no longer functons properly on their network (or any other to be fair )?
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 94098 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7019 Solutions

Can anyone tell me where to find my contract end though please ? I can't see a "Tariff Summary" in my 02... ?

See your other thread.
Message 11 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
That isn't quite right, in law the liability resides with the retailer for the hardware, but in your case you chose to download an update from a third party, Apple, which caused the problem.
I don't see how O2 could be held responsible for this, other than making a goodwill gesture, which the law doesn't require them to do.
If I buy a new pc and mess it up by installing the wrong kind of software, the manufacturer would not accept responsibility and nor should they.
Apple should put this right as they supplied the software that caused the problem.
Please let us know how you get on at the Apple store.

Apple store were very helpful but admitted there is a problem with the firmware. And confirmed that Apple were working on it. O2 store also confirmed there was a problem and suggested that if Apple didn't fix it they would be looking at offering an alternative phone. I mentioned warranty and he said that as the phone was supplied as part of an 18 month contract they would repair or replace. Which was pointless here for another 3G phone, it is a 3G ny son tells me. Spoke to 02 support and although they initially waffled on about not in warranty when I read section 2.5 of the contract he concurred. Its clear in that section that 02 are responsible... not at fault, why would they be, but again, the phone was supplied by 02 and forms an integral part of the contract. Unlike a straight purchase of hardware only. It actually covers that in the contract as well. If you have a sim only contract for instance. But once a supplier makes the phone, free or not, a condition of taking the contract there are some basic rights that are given

Point here is that I haven't installed the wrong or illegal software software and the firmware is an integral part of the phone. Which was supplied as part of the contract. Its not a warranty issue. Like above its not 02s fault but is is there responsibility under that contract. Once the contract ends then all bets are off of course. Its only a "grey area" because mobile companies like it that way and most people do not read the contract or understand their rights

Anyway. There is no point in sending phone off for repair as suggested by 02...and we will wait to see when Apple issue there latest update to fix the problem. In the end O2 seemed OK with whatever we wanted to do and I did discuss an alternative phone if all else fails and this wasn't turned down but something for discussion later on. Which is fair enough and I will see what happens. So I'm not unhappy to a great degree and everyone in O2 has been positive if a little slowly and for Apple to admit they have a problem is remarkable. Phone is usable, just, so its not the end of the world.

But thanks again for everyones thoughts and advice... very helpful and much appreciated

Update: Citizens Advice Bureau website is clear and confirms that it is the supplier that is responsible during a contract to ensure, other than damage or misuse, to ensure that a phone is fit for purpose. So be polite but firm like I was and they will be co-operative
Message 12 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm afraid you've quoted several different things with out understanding them. I urge you to seek professional advice before continuing.
Message 13 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
Not sure where you are coming from saying Apple have admitted the update is faulty, yes a very small minority may be having problems usually from not taking the proper precautions before downloading. As for O2 they are still providing your son the service he is paying for through his sim, he can just pop it in any other phone, and o2 are still providing what he is paying for.

Seems to be a case of you hearing what you want to hear, yes Apple staff may have said that some are having problems but there is by no means a problem with the upgrades since the iOS4, even the 4.0.2 was just a security patch.
Message 14 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm not thick Brendon. Apple were very specific. They know there is a problem with the latest version firmware and said so. O2 know there is a problem....their support staff told me , the manager of my local O2 store told me...and were all very helpful.

Read this before making assumptions like I'm some sort of idiot.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jsp ... 9&tstart=0

This is a major cock up by Apple that affects ALL 3G iPhones.....

Also Google Apple iPhone Firmware problem and see the results you get. If you're interested its a problem with the amount of memory in the 3G handset..128meg against the 512meg in the iPhone 4. The new OS4 loads some new funstionality that resides in memory and in the 3G totally overloads it...who told me that....Apple support. And they hope to release a fix in two weeks (yeah right ?) he even suiggested..shock horror...jailbreaking the phone and reverting back to 3.1.3 But again maybe I was only hearing what I wanted to hear....

As for a mobile contract that should say..."buy a new phone every now and then if the phone we supplied you is no longer fit for purpose" might lose them a few customers I think. O2...and I'm not deaf either... have offered to take the phone back , which is not worth it because its a firmware problem, or look at replacing the phone should Apple fail to resolve the issue. I was happy with that as they didn't once suggest that I go do one and buy another phone. Reading store even offered to upgrade the phone for free...if I took out a new 18 month contract... uh, thank you but not yet.

So, I'm sure you didn't mean any offence but being patronising is not the way to go. I was only tryuing to highlight a problem that exists with 3G iPhones and maybe a suggestion on how to appraoch O2...might work...might not

But no probs...I'll not post again...
Message 15 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
And did you say that it was a 3G involved, no. Even Apple when they released the iOS4 said it was designed for 3GS onwards. Sorry for your frustration, but basically Apple have given up on the 3G, I do understand your problems but to be fair to me I run an iphone forum and would have advised anyone on a 3G not to download it.

Or if they had would have been telling them how to downgrade it again which Apple will not tell you.
Message 16 of 16