cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPhone 6 WiFi Calling

Anonymous
Not applicable
I noticed that Apple said that WiFi calling in the UK would be supported by EE. Anyone know if that is an exclusive deal, or can we expect O2 to offer the same in due course? Given the appalling reception for O2 I get in our house this would be a great feature.
Message 1 of 144
143 REPLIES 143

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
I can't dis it as I'm with EE too lol, but O2 have said that it's only gonna be Tugo only for them and no chance of WiFi calling.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 131 of 144

Anonymous
Not applicable

I ditched O2 switching to EE because TuGo was rubbish and I wanted Wi-Fi Calling.  Wi-Fi Calling is miles ahead of TuGo.  WiFi Calling far better than TuGo, reliability far better with WiFi calling, WiFi functionality far  superior, etc.

I was wary switching to EE but after a year wished I'd switched earlier.

Message 132 of 144

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
If that suits you, great.
How do you get on when abroad and using your UK allowances for free, out of interest?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 133 of 144

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

How do you get on when abroad and using your UK allowances for free, out of interest?

Not very well i suspect? Rolleys

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 134 of 144

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Well considering @Anonymous said "functionality far superior" I'd expect it to work flawlessly when abroad, allowing you to use your UK minutes and text allowances and work over a local sim data connection too?
But then that would still only be equal to Tugo so I'm interested in what way that aspect of the functionality is "far superior"?

Currently using:
Message 135 of 144

Anonymous
Not applicable

I did the same after over 30 years with o2 / Cellnet.

Wi-fi calling is far superior to ToGo simply because it is fully integrated.

No separate call list, no separate SMS lists, no app to load, run or update, no separate ring tones, just complete seamless intention. Switch it on and forget it. Oh and far better battery efficiency too. Oh and EE has voice over 4G calling as a bonus too.

As for when abroad, I guess it depends on your tariff but I pay £1.70 something to have unlimited EU usage or just use Skype or Facetime from a wi-fi connection.

I'm not that bothered as I'm in poor signal areas with wi-fi in the UK  far more than I am abroad.

Message 136 of 144

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Horses for courses I guess.
Some of us spend a long time abroad each year so it's a better option but understand the reasoning if you don't go abroad.

Currently using:
Message 137 of 144

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think this is now finally available in some areas:

https://www.o2.co.uk/connectivity/wifi-and-4g-calling

Videos on how to set it up:

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/network-coverage-and-international/wifi-and-4g-calling

Message 138 of 144

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

That link still has no iphone 6 on its wording

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 139 of 144

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Yet we know it works on an iPhone 6

Currently using:
Message 140 of 144