cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPhone 6 WiFi Calling

Anonymous
Not applicable
I noticed that Apple said that WiFi calling in the UK would be supported by EE. Anyone know if that is an exclusive deal, or can we expect O2 to offer the same in due course? Given the appalling reception for O2 I get in our house this would be a great feature.
Message 1 of 144
143 REPLIES 143

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 146975 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28263 Solutions
It certainly won't be working very well that way anytime soon either. But o2 need to make a decision one way or another, and quickly!
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 81 of 144

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
It certainly won't be working very well that way anytime soon either. But o2 need to make a decision one way or another, and quickly!

Without wanting to give anything away and given I am not part of O2 and am dependent on information I can obtain from O2, etc. and that I am not anouncing, not spreading rumour, etc., just posting what I have been made aware of and which maybe incorrect ... (so read it in that spirit)

O2 should be releasing WiFi Calling late Dec 2015 or early 2016.  They seem to have a massive confusion over what they regard as "Apple" WiFi Calling (which they consider already available subject to Apple providing it yet when pressed get vague and pass you to Apple who then confirm that it's mainly down to O2) and what they will be offering as WiFi Calling.  I think the confusion is due to poor training and people making (incorrect) assumptions.

However, I understand they are placing high importance of roaming between WiFi and VoLTE without losing an ongoing call.  I think in practice the number of circumstances this will happen in is few and limited to e.g. use on London Underground (as people are on a WiFi call travelling on the tube and then walk out of a station.  For this limited situation of course they will be walking out of WiFi coverage into 4G coverage.  However, most of their customers have probaby only rarely seen O2's 4G (I think I've connected to it only 6 time since being with O2 for many years and only used it once).  So for most of us WiFi calling is just making up for poor O2 network coverage (e.g. in home).  And most of that customer base will not have VoLTE capable phones.

O2 should regard WiFi Calling and VoLTE as seperate things (and they can take steps to transparently hand over calls in the rare situations where both technologies provide coverage at the same time if they so wish but as a seperate issue).  

I suspect part of their thinking (e.g. the London Underground scenario) is that they have unfortunately become rather "London centric".  For example, their 1800MHz rollout is mainly focusing on London 1st with other cities to follow.  And they perceive WiFi Calling largely as a capacity boost rather than making up for poor/inadequate coverage elsewhere in the UK.

They do have some requirements on then for rural coverage (e.g. 98% of population with LTE coverage by 2017...

Message 82 of 144

MI5
  • 146975 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28263 Solutions
Interesting reading but there's no need for them to make it so difficult !
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 83 of 144

Anonymous
Not applicable

Still nothing! All I keep getting is TuGo updates that still render it a useless app on the iphone.

Come on o2!

Message 84 of 144

jonsie
  • 93274 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

It either seems to work or not on ios. Many have no problems but you seem to be one of the unlucky ones.

Message 85 of 144

Anonymous
Not applicable

Even when its working its not a patch on real Wi Fi calling

Message 86 of 144

jonsie
  • 93274 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

MI5
  • 146975 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28263 Solutions
Except its nothing like WiFi calling at all really.
Message 88 of 144

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's just so hit and miss. I'm part of the o2 trail blazers focus group and use any opportunity to tell them what I think of TUgo!

Message 89 of 144

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

It's just so hit and miss. I'm part of the o2 trail blazers focus group and use any opportunity to tell them what I think of TUgo!

Quite a few of the issues (iOS) can be difficult to recognise initially.  Last month I was rather desperate to call somebody but kept getting "engaged" through TuGo.  This went on for hours and was not behaviour I would have expected from the person I was calling.  So I killed off the TuGo app, tried again and immediately ringing and answered and "we have not been using the phone atall today".  Scream.

Message 90 of 144