Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have you read your T&Cs?

cyrillicguy
Level 8: Talented
  • 247 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

More often than not, once someone starts complaining about being treated unfairly by their provider, the reply to that is "Well, have you actually read your Terms and Conditions?". What's even more surprising is that we often hear such a reply from someone who is basically on the same boat with a complainant, i.e. a customer. 

Makes me wonder...

I mean, it's hard to argue with the "it's in the T&Cs" point. However, what happened to fair treatment, fair advertisement, situations where we are getting told one thing only to discover that the T&Cs tell us something completely different.

Ok, let's imagine me coming into one of the O2 shops to get a new contract. The salesman does his pitch and I'm sold. Did he perhaps take his time to outline the points in the O2's T&Cs which would make me think twice before commiting myself to a purchase? Did he buck!

So, what should I do? Maybe I should ask him run through the every single word of the T&Cs with me, explaining everything in plain English. "What does that mean?" "What about that?" "Oh, and this one, can't really understand what this is about, would you explain please?" "Can I take it with me so I can show it to my solicitor and bring it back later?" How long would that take? How would that affect their sales process? How would that annoy them (no less than us, customers, are annoyed when getting no service etc. I bet you) What if the next customer did the sam? And the one after him? And the next one after?...

If only everyone done that, how brilliant would that be, eh? Who knows, it might even start the whole new era of non-misleading advertisement, clear and honest product description... who knows...

Ever hear of the term "Italian Strike"? slight_smile Google for it, you'll know what I mean.

These folks with "have you read your T&Cs" answers... are they the ones who read the T&Cs every time they install an app, click on a link, buy a lightbulb or hop on the bus or train?

Are they?

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Anyone who enters into any financially binding contract without reading the T&C's or at least understanding the pertinent points of the contract have no grounds for complaint if something crops up that they don't like.
Just my opinion which may not be yours but as they say, "a fool and his money are easily parted"
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm sure 99.9% of people don't read their mobile terms and conditions.....me included !!  Thoughful

Message 3 of 18

cyrillicguy
Level 8: Talented
  • 247 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Anyone who enters into any financially binding contract without reading the T&C's or at least understanding the pertinent points of the contract have no grounds for complaint if something crops up that they don't like.
Just my opinion which may not be yours but as they say, "a fool and his money are easily parted"

I agree with you. I do. Like I said, if only everyone was meticulous enough when it comes to all these T&Cs. Customers sitting for hours at the salesman's desks running through the T&Cs, asking to get every word explained... I'd love that, I bet companies when plan their sales targets, workflow, etc. in their outlets they do include the relevant time necessary to do all the proper T&C explanation to every single customer into the equation. At the end of the day, that would be a logical thing to do slight_smile

Message 4 of 18

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions
Hmmm, tbh I do read up on t&c's before entering into any contract. When I was younger though, not so much.

The most important thing for me with any contract that's over a monthly rolling basis timewise, is will I be able to afford it if x, y or z happens?

One of the reasons I picked O2, apart from the fact that the coverage suits my needs is that with refresh I can always pay off my handset and release myself from the contract. The phone I chose Moto G 4g, is of a reasonable price and would afford me the opportunity to pay it off quite easily if needed.

That said, I'll bet there's at least 1 thing in the t&c's that I'm unaware of. So I do agree they should be simplified a lot more than they currently are.

Charlie xx
Message 5 of 18

cyrillicguy
  • 247 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

@gindygoo wrote:
Hmmm, tbh I do read up on t&c's before entering into any contract. When I was younger though, not so much.

The most important thing for me with any contract that's over a monthly rolling basis timewise, is will I be able to afford it if x, y or z happens?

One of the reasons I picked O2, apart from the fact that the coverage suits my needs is that with refresh I can always pay off my handset and release myself from the contract. The phone I chose Moto G 4g, is of a reasonable price and would afford me the opportunity to pay it off quite easily if needed.

That said, I'll bet there's at least 1 thing in the t&c's that I'm unaware of. So I do agree they should be simplified a lot more than they currently are.

Charlie xx

I'm wondering how many sales people are actually fully aware of everything that is written in the T&Cs for the products that they are selling slight_smile 

Message 6 of 18

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions

@cyrillicguy wrote:

@gindygoo wrote:

Charlie xx

I'm wondering how many sales people are actually fully aware of everything that is written in the T&Cs for the products that they are selling slight_smile 

I'll bet they only know the bare bones of the t&c's, how many ppl have come on here and says they've been missold a contract?

Message 7 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm confident most sales guys wouldn't have a clue what terms and conditions are involved in the products they sell.

I don't really read them before signing because you can use The Unfair Terms In Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 act should you ever have the need.

I read the O2 terms and conditions after i started experiencing network issues and once i relayed these to the complaints team, they cancelled my contract without penalty!

Message 8 of 18

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Don't forget you have 14 days to go home and read them at your leisure too....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 18

jonsie
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Have you ever wondered why terms and conditions are in very small print? It's because there are so many of them and it makes you dismiss them as insignificant and meaningless. How many of you have downloaded a programme to your PC or phone and just ticked the box because you can't be bothered to read through all the stuff? If you say you haven't you are a liar! 

However, when money is part of the equation you are a fool to yourself if you aren't aware of these....

Message 10 of 18