Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicate posts due to no update/response from authors

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

In my opinion, the whole point of the O2 Community pages is for users to communicate with eachother.  The community is split up into sections to ease the use of the site.

Members post random discussions or problems that they are facing and other members respond.

It is slightly annoying to me (I don't know about anyone else) when members respond to a post to try to help them out, and then they don't reply.  I think that this causes a few issues as :-

1- We don't know if our suggestion worked and if that is the solution to the problem (if so then it would help other users).

2- Other members may have the same problem and as there is no definite solution for the post, they create a new post and therefore numerous duplicate posts will be here and this would cause confusion.

I would suggest that if you make a post, particularly if it is not in the 'off topic' section, then you should go back on the post to update other members on whether the suggestion has fixed the problem or if the problem is still occurring.

Please help other members 🙂

** P.S I did check on the boards for a duplicate prior to posting this **

Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26

gemz4the1
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions
Here's where we all get court orders from @Toby through the post.......
Message 21 of 27

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
There'd be no point, it wouldn't reach you before Xmas wink

In all seriousness though, thanks for starting this discussion. Its something that has been on my mind regularly too. If you have other ideas that you think would help the situation, by all means let me know.

I even considered creating a widget for members to get a solution prompt email after a response (like a subscription), but I think it could be a little intrusive to many members. What do you think?
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 22 of 27

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@toby it is up to the member.

Have you noticed on other forums the admin have that sort of prompt in there sig.

The mark as solution is the way forward kudos just gets abused and is of minor importance over solution

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 23 of 27

gemz4the1
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

It's not too late if you deliver them by carrier pigeon (or by owl if you want to deliver them in Harry Potter style).

I agree with @adamtemp64 - the kudos system is good however it is abused a lot by people who simply press it for something that they like or find funny and not necessarily a comment that is helpful.  I am finding that a few people also use the kudos button instead of using the 'accept solution' button.

I don't understand the way that you see it @toby but could a report be generated for posts older than a certain period of time so that an automated message could be sent to the original author to ask them to confirm if the suggestion made by another member was the solution? 

Or could you make it possible for other members to report a post that does not have it marked as a solution even if you think it is.  Sometimes the original author responds and says the suggestion was the solution, however they are not heard from again.

Message 24 of 27

davethorp
  • 1035 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 38 Solutions

@gemz4the1 wrote:

I know we cannot force people to respond/accept solution and it is apparent that people come on here as a one off to vent or ask a question and then they never come back on it.

It is a shame but there's nothing we can do about it.

@Toby cannot send law suits to everyone forcing them to respond or threaten to take them to court......yet LOL 

Crazy

You will mark posts as solutions to your problem or you DIE!!!! :robotfrustrated:

Message 25 of 27

gemz4the1
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

Hahahaha very good and to the point @davethorp

Message 26 of 27

gemz4the1
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions
Sorry to open this thread up again but as I'm quite new and still working my way around the site and learning, it's becoming obvious and a pattern that I am seeing with new users. People sign up as members, ask a question about their issue, numerous people respond with possible solutions and the original poster is never heard from again. Fair enough if they found their solution and do not have any problems and no other need to use the site, but they could at least respond to say if the suggestion worked so that it helps other members.

In my opinion it seems a little selfish but, as previously said, it's a problem on all forums and nothing can be done about it.
Message 27 of 27