cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downloading a new eSim usin the My O2 App?

Chateau57
Level 1: Joiner
  • 22 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi

My wife bought a new unlocked iPhone 13 from Apple  recently and went to an O2 shop to pick up an eSim pack (5g). Later that day when setting the new phone up for her, when it came to adding the eSIM, it didn’t work (scanned the QR code in the eSIM pack, but then showed a status of “activating” for the next few hours)

Can’t remember exactly what I did, but I went into the My O2 app and selected “Swap my sim”. To my surprise, I got the option to download a *new* eSim to the phone. This I then installed via the my O2 app and when the process finished, I had a fully functional iPhone connected to the O2 mobile network with my wife’s phone number correctly displayed. I didn’t have to contact Customer Services to ask for a new eSim pack, text O2 with a Sim Swap request or anything - it was a completely automatic process using just the My O2 App

I haven’t managed to find any documentation on this anywhere, but it clearly works !!! 

A WORD OF WARNING!

Generating a new eSIM, using this method, will disconnect your old eSIM from the O2 network (this happened almost immediately, as far as I can remember.). 

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

pgn
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 37458 Posts
  • 239 Topics
  • 1706 Solutions

This is a recent development, @Chateau57 - as shown here: https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Discussions-Feedback/Guide-Updates/m-p/1587673/highlight/true#M123622

The relevant Forum guides, from SIM Swap to MyO2, have yet to be updated to reflect the new, improved, process - tagging @Martin-O2 for info.

Congratulations on the speed and success of your recent ESIM activation experience using MyO2 👍

Message 2 of 13

Chateau57
  • 22 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks, it certainly is much easier to request a new eSim using just the My O2 app . It seems I stumbled across a hitherto undocumented feature of the app.

Message 3 of 13

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 147668 Posts
  • 639 Topics
  • 28345 Solutions

It only works for customers on the new billing platform and was something that was introduced along with it.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 4 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 124627 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7530 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

It only works for customers on the new billing platform and was something that was introduced along with it.

Still, we have had 2 people in as many days, who have said this method (via MY O2) has worked for them.

So maybe it should be added to the guide?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 13

Enlli
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 7278 Posts
  • 51 Topics
  • 1602 Solutions

Add me to the list.

I was going to the O2 store this weekend to get a pack.

Took about 5 min from start to finish and that included printing out the QR code to scan into the phone.

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 6 of 13

Brian0623
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

did it cost you to get the pack ?

Message 7 of 13

MI5
  • 147668 Posts
  • 639 Topics
  • 28345 Solutions

@Brian0623 

No, its free
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 8 of 13

Massi1234
  • 4 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Do you think the same process would work if I change phone? Or only for the same phone?

Message 9 of 13

MI5
  • 147668 Posts
  • 639 Topics
  • 28345 Solutions

@Massi1234 

As long as you are on the new billing system it will work in either scenario.

Message 10 of 13