cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disabled? Don't use O2!

Anonymous
Not applicable
O2 customer services is appalling and insulting!

On being told my account was overdue, I called to pay the bill in full over the phone but just wanted to check why it hadn't been collected by direct debit as usual. An 'adviser' asked me security questions of how many emails or minutes did I have each month and how much was the tariff. I was unable to answer these questions as I have paid the bill by dirct debit every month for 18 months. I offered my date of birth, bank account dtails & mother's maiden name but these were refused because I had "failed the DPS(???)" and was told he could do nothing more for me.

I explained that I was disabled with multiple sclerosis, confined to the house and with no other means of making contact with anyone. He replied that "lots of people were ill" and that I "should have paid the bill then" and there was nothing else he could do. I tried to stay calm but at this point asked to speak to his manager to be told repeatedly that he was managing my account today and when I persisted, was informed that no-one senior was available because they were all in a meeting!! I have never had such appaling customer service or been in such a desperate situation. I put the phone down and cried.

Fortunately, the postman knocked shortly afterwards & notified my neighbour who has now called the GP for me.

I will certainly be cancelling my contract as soon as I possibly can and I urge anyone who has health issues that might make their phone a lifeline to do the same. All I wanted to do was to make sure the direct debit had not gone through and pay the bill!
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm sorry that you seem to have had this experience. I work for O2 and this is very rare this happens. I work in the stores so am on front line sot o speak. I wish that I could help you in some way to resolve this.

There may be one way that you could get passed this and you can get through to a senior manager if you like I can advise on this
Message 2 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
hi im disabled you cant really expect o2 to treat you better than anyone else anyone can say there disabled ive never had any probs at all
Message 3 of 16

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93887 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7017 Solutions
That's a woeful customer service experience for you but your disability has nothing to do with the way you were treated.

The adviser seems to have been overly zealous and pedantic but I think you need to remove the reference to disability which infers that you were singled out because of this.
Message 4 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
For DPA there is a very set process, they can only ask 2 of 5 set out questions.

If they just took any information then anyone would be able to phone up and do things on other peoples account. DPA is extremely strict because there are massive fines for breeching it and the advisor could get in serious trouble. Speaking to a manager on a fail of DPA wouldn't get anywhere so it is a pointless task and a waste of your time, all they can do is advise you that you've failed it and the call can't be taken further.

If you log into "my o2" you will be able to get the details you need to pass DPA and you can also pay your bills there.
Message 5 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have to say, and I'll probably be attacked for this, but you failed the security questions. The person on the phone could be more tactful, but you would still need to prove who you were. You weren't singled out because you were disabled.
What has the postman and phoning the doctor got to do with it?
Message 6 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well, harsh as it is here is my 2p worth. I do the same job as the advisor and would have refused to help as well although (just from your description if it is true) maybe more tactfully. You can obviously talk on a phone so what is the difference from any other caller?
Message 7 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well, harsh as it is here is my 2p worth. I do the same job as the advisor and would have refused to help as well although (just from your description if it is true) maybe more tactfully. You can obviously talk on a phone so what is the difference from any other caller?

Same here, if you fail the 2 out of 5 possible security questions then the advisor can´t continue with the call. You need to go and try and get some details together and call back so that they can verify you then go through resetting your password. Disabled or not there´s no way I would not follow the security process.
Message 8 of 16

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions
I do have some sympathy for Jpr here, I had to phone my bank recently and forgot my password, because I bank online I haven't had to phone for years.

They then start firing security questions at you, which takes you off balance and you struggle to answer.

I finally cleared security and got a new password after 20 minutes or so.

I only wanted a new cheque book, they can only send it to my registered address, so why is it so difficult?

You are not aware beforehand what questions are coming, and it's disconcerting.

I know it's "for our own good", but if you get a CSA who just wants you off the line as soon as possible, you feel very uncomfortable.

I accept there are "procedures" but it shows how the human element is often forgotten in these days of inflexibility.
To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 9 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
That is where the tactfully bit comes in. I would apologise and explain why the security was there. I would sympathise but that wouldn't change my stance, although I would try to empathise.

But seems the thing to do now is ask for a manager, what good is that? Having been one for a while I was appalled at most managers knowledge. They are mostly not as clued up as the advisor and have no more power to pass you through security. They may try to sugar coat it a bit but it's the same answer.
Message 10 of 16