Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data usage accuracy

EEG
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I recently switched from Virgin mobile to 02 mobile, primarily because the signal is supposed to be better in my area.

I was on a 10gb tarif before but never got through more than 3gb a month, so when I moved to 02 I switched down to an 8gb tarif thinking that would be more than enough plus some leeway.

Now bearing in mind that when I'm at home I use wifi all day, so not using mobile data, and suddenly I'm apparently now getting through nearly 5gb of data a month according to 02. Coincidentally I'm now getting messages regarding upgrading my tarif...

Just how accurate is the recording of data usage and has anyone else found they are suddenly using more data than they ever have even though nothing about their usage has changed?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions

@EEG 

There's no widespread issue with O2 data recording and it's not a common complaint (although does crop up occasionally).

The best thing to do is reset the data counter on your phone to coincide with your O2 billing cycle and check what your phone records compared to your MyO2.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 4

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12053 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1122 Solutions
If you are using an Android, you can download apps to track your usage.
Check that WiFi Assist (or similar) is off, and whether or not you have a setting for swapping to mobile data if the WiFi signal drops.
There is a setting for WiFi when the phone sleeps - make sure this is off (you want WiFi to stay on at all times).
You should also be able to see what is using the data in phone settings.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 3 of 4

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23044 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3669 Solutions

@EEG If you're indoors all day on WiFi, manually switch off your mobile data in Settings, and get into the habit of switching it back on when you go out.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 4