cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Removal Option for PM Customers who don't use data that much.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just had a conversation on the online chat to ask if there was any way I could take off the data from my tariff every month as I don't use it compared to my usage of calls and texts.

Apparently there is no way to take off data from the tariff and my only option was to downgrade to PAYG and pay for a bundle that only had calls and texts.

So, therefore, paying more out every month ( as I would be paying off the contract I would have downgraded from and paying an early termination fee into the bargain. as well as paying for the chosen bundle for just calls and texts ) 

How crazy is this? Does anyone else like myself feel they don't use enough data to justify paying for it as part of their monthly tariff and do you think there should be an option for a tariff on PM for just calls and text without the data, effectively making it cheaper in the long run?

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10158 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3009 Solutions
@Anonymous

No network offers data less tariffs, (they do offer very low data tariffs) and for the less than 1% of users who would need this feature, its not worth the investment

There are niche MVNO's that may offer this but you would need to research them..

You would have been better on a pay as you go where you can pay for what you use..
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 8 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144299 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions

Personally, I'd say that should have been a consideration when starting your contract.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 10

bigdavie88
Level 9: Fired up
  • 144 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 14 Solutions
Im assuming the tariff is a high data tariff due to the type of phone you got at the time? Did you choose the higher tariff to get the phone for free with no upfront cost?

With most o2 contracts you can never move below your base tariff so if your base tariff is a high data one then im afraid you have agreed to pay that price plan for the length of your contract and the fact that you dont use it isnt really o2's fault.
Message 3 of 10

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122895 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

@Anonymous 

Actually I went for a tariff which gave me 5x more data than I'll ever need. You might think thats stupid but the tariff was on offer and cheaper than any of the others available.

You have to do what suits you and your finances at the time you take out a contract.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 10

bigdavie88
  • 144 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 14 Solutions
Thats understandable but also short sighted as when you take a contract out you also need to consider the full length of the contract and what you will pay for full contract versus what you actually need and can afford.

It may be cheaper at that time but cheaper isnt always the best.
Message 5 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

not really short-sighted, when you base it off a few months usage when its been practically non-existent.

If I am not using part of the tariff, surely they should be giving an option to disable it until you feel its needed in the future and thus not paying for something you aren't currently using.

Nothing to do with the length of the contract, I am happy to stay in my contract as long as it for a price for what's actually being used, which in this case is only calls and texts.

Message 6 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 122895 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

@bigdavie88 wrote:
Thats understandable but also short sighted as when you take a contract out you also need to consider the full length of the contract and what you will pay for full contract versus what you actually need and can afford.

It may be cheaper at that time but cheaper isnt always the best.

Are you aiming that comment at me @bigdavie88 ?

If so, I'm talking about a sim only contract which costs me £12 a month for 30GB data. I am pretty much housebound and use Wifi all the time so no it wasn't short sighted thanks. It was an absolute bargain and as I know my financial situation it was a good choice to go for something cheaper than £35 per month for 100GB.

Actually O2 have been running a promotion £20 for 100GB which is an excellent choice, even if you only ever use half of it.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 10

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10158 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3009 Solutions
@Anonymous

No network offers data less tariffs, (they do offer very low data tariffs) and for the less than 1% of users who would need this feature, its not worth the investment

There are niche MVNO's that may offer this but you would need to research them..

You would have been better on a pay as you go where you can pay for what you use..
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 8 of 10

bigdavie88
  • 144 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 14 Solutions
Nope not at all @Cleoriff.

There will always be simo tariffs which are really appealing due to the pricing but Im referring to tariffs with a device.

A lot of people will choose a higher priced tariff just to get the phone for free then half way through the contract will then complain to o2 that they dont use half the stuff and want it cheaper even though they agreed to pay the base tariff at start of contract.

@Anonymous no company have tariffs that can be adjusted or parts of it disabled to make it cheaper as its not how it works. The price you pay is for the package as a whole not certain parts.
Message 9 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 122895 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

@bigdavie88 

When I read back at posts which appeared during the time I was (slowly) typing mine, I thought not.

I just wasn't sure as you responded after my post. Thanks anyway. yahoo

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 10