Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit score issue (fault with o2)

carquin
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

A cheque was wrongfully added to my account by a member from o2 in July. This paid my bill and credited my account with the remainder. The real owner of the cheque then presumably cancelled it and the cheque bounced. This resulted in my direct debit for that month being missed.
I was not made aware of the cheque or then it bouncing. In fact I was not contacted at all with regards to it or a missing payment and didn’t notice until the beginning of September. I spoke with well over 10 different people with regards to the situation and received little help and then they hung up the phone or ended the chat saying the problem was resolved when it definitely wasn’t. I finally got help from a “Matthew” who could see the cheque must have been credited to my account in error. He told me it would be resolved and o2 would credit my account to pay for the large bill plus late payment fees. I expressed to Matthew that I was concerned about my credit score being affected. He told me that o2 can contact credit report files to show that the missed payment is in error and not actually a missed payment. 
none of this was done in efficient time and my services were turned off again a few weeks later. I then wasted more time talking to more people at o2 to again get this resolved. A few days later it was still unresolved. I then paid the large bill plus late payment fees on 23rd Sep as I was worried about my credit report getting another missed payment. 
We are now at the beginning of November and my credit score has updated to show a missing payment from o2 and a significant reduction in my credit score.
I have been bidding on my first property for the past 2 months and have now been refused mortgage by my bank because of the missed payment on my credit report. 

I have again wasted more days contacting o2 only to be met with dismissiveness and a complete lack of wanting to help. I had to take time out of work to travel into the nearest o2 store where I was able to get an email for credit file referrals. I sent an email and have received one back 3 days later. They are dismissing my case and claiming I missed the payment and seems they are refusing to amend my credit report. I find this totally ridiculous. Credit history shows on your report for 6 years. I will have a missing o2 payment showing for 6 years because someone from o2 didn’t do their job properly and credited my account wrongfully which messed up my direct debits and I had no contact from o2 to amend it myself. It went unnoticed until it was too late. I have never before missed any payments and my score was clean. I am asking here is anyone knows what I can do? I feel I am being left with little options but to possibly consider taking legal action as this is definitely negatively impacting my life. Not to mention the time wasted and the stress it is also putting on me trying to get it sorted and worrying about my future. Please anyone with advice get in touch 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144637 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27729 Solutions

@carquin 

Legal action is your only recourse.

This happens all too often with O2 and they still keep on getting away with it.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 6

Oxonian
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 5895 Posts
  • 102 Topics
  • 22 Solutions

@carquin 

You might also want to file a complaint :-

How to Complain | Help | O2

https://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain

Customer+Complaints+code+250523.pdf (o2.co.uk)

https://www.o2.co.uk/documents/456036/4246828/Customer+Complaints+code+250523.pdf

The former link has a section headed Resolver. They have been mentioned on this forum as facilitating satisfactory outcomes. 

There is no reason that you cannot both complain and take legal action.   

Message 3 of 6

garetc
Level 5: Ponderer
  • 97 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

This sounds like a nightmare! 

If you're not getting anywhere with the customer service team and you're being dismissed by the credit referral's team I would complain to the CEO directly. The complaint will be investigated by the exec complaints team who will hopefully be able to help. I don't think we're allowed to mention specific contact details but Google is your friend for contact details. 

If you don't get a good response from them you should ask for a deadlock letter and complain to 

Financial Ombudsman Services and/or Communication Ombudsman Service in the links @MI5 has posted.

iPhone 15 Pro Max (EE/Vodafone)
Samsung S24 Ultra (O2/Three)
Message 4 of 6

carquin
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have sent several complaints to the complaints team and they have not responded to any. I have called the complaints line and was told yesterday I would get a call back in 10-15 minutes. It has been 22 hours and no call back yet….

Message 5 of 6

Oxonian
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 5895 Posts
  • 102 Topics
  • 22 Solutions

@carquin 

I suggest that you give Resolver a try. Details in my post above. 

Message 6 of 6