cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Come on O2! The technology exists to stop nuisance calls.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The Telephone Preference Service is next to useless and the 7726 (SPAM) texting hasn't achieved much, either.

For my landline (with TalkTalk), I have a free feature which blocks all "number withheld" calls. I also have another free feature which enables me to dial a code in my phone and block the last number from ever calling me again.

Since adding these facilities, the number of cold calls has fallen dramatically.

Why can't O2 offer the same features? The technology exists so let's use it.

Come on O2! Help your customers!

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27

PhoneChanger
Level 30: Meditator
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions

I don't think any mobile network has this setup.

A lot of modern mobile phones do have this feature though where you can block a number or only allow calls through from people in your phone book, etc

What needs to be considered is a number of blocked or withheld numbers are hospitals, dentists, doctors, etc all of which would be blocked meaning people could miss important calls.

There are larger issues to be considered before global blocking of nuisance calls can be initiated.

Message 2 of 28

Anonymous
Not applicable

There are some call blocker apps available, I use CM Security which is free on Google Play & works perfectly

Message 3 of 28

blissgirl
Level 33: Firestarter
  • 7227 Posts
  • 46 Topics
  • 3 Solutions
I use should I answer? app works well for me slight_smile
iPhone 15 plus 128Gb light pink (with Vodafone) slight_smile
Message 4 of 28

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144189 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
All can be set on the phone so no need for networks to invade our right to choice.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 28

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

No matter the os there is an app to block unwanted calls, no need for the networks to do this. The onus is on us the customer and it's so easy. O2 doesn't need to think for me, I can stop nuisance calls myself and so can everyone.

Message 6 of 28

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have an old phone, not a smart phone, so I can't download an app.

I just want to be able to block nuisance calls.  I'm not expecting service providers to block all number-withheld calls from everybody, just for those customers that ask for it.

If number-withheld callers and last-number-that-called can be blocked on landlines, why not on mobiles?

If an app can do it, why can't it be done by typing in a code or something?

I shouldn't have to buy a new phone in order to download an app to stop ignorant, inconsiderate people from bothering me.  If I do that, they'll have won anyway.

Message 7 of 28

Cleoriff
  • 122826 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

As I said in reply to the ops other post...I have just had a call whilst here in Spain. Didnt recognise it...didnt answer it. Then googled it and it's a claim company. Added to my reject list. That's the end of that....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 28

Anonymous
Not applicable
In my experience, hospitals etc don't withhold their numbers.
Also, it would be up to individual customers to arrange the blocking service. I'm not talking about something for everybody.
Message 9 of 28

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

My doctor and my hospital both withold their number. I answer the calls but the word no or just the press of a button cuts them off. Why is it so hard or even an issue?

Message 10 of 28