cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charged for roaming we didn't use

Anonymous
Not applicable

My husband and myself have been on an extended holiday. We were overseas for seven weeks on a cruise.

We both took our iPhones (mine iPhone 5c, husband's 5s), but made sure data roaming was switched off before we left. Apart from one text that I sent in Singapore, neither of us sent any texts, didn't receive or make any phone calls and didn't turn on data roaming in order to use the internet. We kept in touch with people by email and Twitter, but used the ship's wifi network for this.

We are therefore suprised that we have both received bills for overseas roaming from O2. There are 40p charges for texts while we were on the ship and one for a day when we were in Fiji. There are also £4.99 O2 travel charges on some of the days we were in New Zealand and USA, although I also had a £4.99 charge on one day I was in Australia.

We have both been affected by this, and the pattern of charges is different. My charges amounted to £14.40 and my husband's charges were £37.33

Obviously, we both contacted O2, fully explaining the situation, and asking for a refund and also asked how this could have happened.

We've both had confirmation that the fees have been refunded, but the complaints have not been upheld as the charges are 'correct and valid'. They completely ignored our request for an explanation of how this could have happened.

We're obviously pleased that the fees have been refunded,  but it's like a complete brick wall trying to get an explanation from O2.  Their position is that the fees are correct because the SIM says so, and no matter how many times we seek more information as to how we could have been charged for something we didnt use, we are completely blanked. We even asked for both of our complaints to be escalated to a senior member of staff for review. However, this request has been refused.  The complaint handlers say they are the highest port of call within O2, and there's no one to escalate the complaint to, as managers are not customer facing and just manage colleagues.

One part of me wants to give this up as they are going to credit our accounts with the disputed charges. This will also be better for my blood pressure.

But on the other hand, its become a matter of principle to get a full explanation of how this situation could have happened.  The current stance from the O2 Complaint Review Service agents is 'if you arent happy, go to the Ombudsman'.  Trouble is, there's no real evidence that we didn't use the services we have been billed for, its just our word against O2.

So my questions to the community are as follows

Has anybody any idea how we could have been charged for O2 Travel (bearing in mind data roaming was always turned off) and texts we didnt send?

Is there anything I can do to get O2 to look at this and do a meaningful investigation?

Any thoughts would be read with interest!

Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31

soozec
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

This is what it says on the P&O Cruise Page: 

Mobile and Cabin phones

As long as your service provider has a roaming agreement with Telenor Maritime, you’ll be able to make and receive calls, send pictures, media clips and texts. When the service becomes available, your mobile will show either Telenor Maritime or 90112 in the display, which means you are using International Maritime Roaming. Contact your service provider for call/text costs - please keep in mind that receiving calls or texts may incur a delivery charge. All charges are from your service provider and will be added directly to your mobile bill and not to your on-board account. 

There is a phone in every cabin - to make a call simply press the ship to shore button and follow the voice prompts. To call the UK, dial the full STD number as you would in the UK. Any charges for your calls will be added to your on-board account.

On o2 abroad costs - this is what it says: 

Not included:

• Using mobile data if you’re on a cruise ship, however you will still be able to connect to the ship’s wifi. You’ll be able to make and receive calls for £3 a minute, and send texts for 65p a text.

Find out more about roaming in Europe

So I'm a bit confused about the wifi-element using the Maritime wifi as it's not clear how much I'll be charged.  

Message 31 of 32

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144965 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27810 Solutions

@soozec 

Use of the wifi will be charged via the onboard account.

You would have to pay a charge to obtain the wifi password.

Once connected to the ships wifi you need to turn your phone on to airplane mode and just connect via wifi.

You can then use apps such as WhatsApp to make calls and receive messages.

ANy cellular functions would be charged and added to your O2 bill so best to avoid those unless on shore and connected to a regular cellular network.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 32 of 32