cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant switch off voicemail from abroad? Really?...

Anonymous
Not applicable

I called o2 before I left the UK - I'm currently in Melbourne at the moment, and will be for 6 months - and asked for advice on what to do to lower my bill, data roaming etc - but nothing was mentioned about voicemail. I've now been out here 3 week and I'm being charged for voicemail! Even when I'm now using another sim in my phone!

Called o2 and pretty much got told - "yeah, should have done it before you left", well, they maybe should have said since I called to ask for advice about going abroad with my phone.

Ridiculous that there is not another number to switch off voicemail from abroad apart from the 1760 that you can only use in the UK, and theres nothing o2 can do from their side to switch it off!

Cheers for your help o2! Your advisor that I spoke to should have referred me to the Community pages and I would have found this out before I left.

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Surprising how many get caught out by this and have been for years:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=turn+off+voicemail+abroad&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:e...

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 11 of 26

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Thing is the how to doesnt even tell you about it:(

http://service.o2.co.uk/IQ/srvs/cgi-bin/webcgi.exe?New,KB=Companion,question=ref(user):str(Mobile),C...
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 12 of 26

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93978 Posts
  • 628 Topics
  • 7019 Solutions

The problem is that the phone isn't directly connected to the O2 network, hence none of the short codes will work.

But I do agree that O2 should have a system whereby they can switch off voicemail..

Message 13 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

The *#21# didnt work... 😞 "error performing request" came up.

I'm more annoyed at the fact I informed o2 that I was going abroad for 6 months, and the advisor took me through the process of unblocking my phone to use a new sim, took off data roming etc, yet failed to tell me about these hidden charges 😞  

Message 14 of 26

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Tbh I got the same error when I tried to make sure the code is active here in the uk.

Have you tried a second time?(unlikely but worth a shot)
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 15 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

You would even think that there should be an option within your voicemail (when you phone it from abroad - as they let you do that!) to switch it off 😕

Message 16 of 26

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

We don't know of any way you can turn it off until the phone is connected to the network in the UK.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 17 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is a favourite O2 con that I have also fallen foul of previously. All I can suggest, is like me, once you have managed to live out your mistake of taking out an O2 contract, the very second it expires you go back to a decent company.

Eight years a Vodafone customer and never once recived a charge for not answering a call abroad. Unfortunately they genuinely do not give a **bleep** - it is a good cash maker - and O2 will deliberately do nothing whatsoever to assist your situation. Wish I could offer you something productive.

Let's not even start on the rudest and most sarcastically unhelpful so-called 'customer service' I have ever encountered when you meet this situation. Sorry.

Message 18 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't give a dam with an extra 'n' is somehow a bleep on this forum. Ludicrous and infantile.

Message 19 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

What do they do with the damned? In case this is also bleeped, the word says dam with an 'n' and 'ed. 

Message 20 of 26