Did you mean: 

Cancellation Notice Wording Not Appropriate

welshsteve76
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 1554 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Hi all,

As some of you may be aware, after almost 17 years as an O2 customer I recently made the difficult decision to leave O2 due to the contract prices with O2 being higher than elsewhere.

My number transfer is all complete and went through last Thursday (11th June).  Despite me ordering the new phone with my new supplier a few days before (on the 7th), my normal monthly notification came from O2 before I got my new phone activated.  So the change has come right at the crossover of my monthly bill (I get notification from O2 on the 10th of each month).

I have therefore had my monthly O2 notification and bill, however, I have had no notification from O2 that my pay monthly contract has been cancelled.  I had £51 left to pay on my device, will be £34 once they take the bill payment on the 24th. 

I have today received a letter from O2 regarding the termination of the contract, and I have to say the wording used on the letter really is not appropriate given the circumstances.

It is essentially worded like a red demand letter, which I think is just not right in my opinion.

It states

Quote: "The above amount will appear on your final bill no earlier than 14 days from the date of this notice of termination.  You must settle this amount no later than 14 days from the date of receipt of your final bill.  If you do not settle that amount before that date, it will be debited from your account or you should call us to make a payment."

It then goes on to say they will pass details on to debt collection agencies if payment is not made etc, which is wholely inappropriate given this termination was done using the correct procedures.

As I cannot access my billing online anymore, I assume I will receive the final bill in the post?  Can they just not take payment all in one go and close the account? 

What's everyone else's thoughts on this? 

Given I followed the correct procedures for this, I did not expect to get a letter of this tone in the post.

Thanks

Steve
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@welshsteve76 

Your final bill will include the cancellation fee.

As it's on the crossover, you may just pay this bill as normal and then get the final bill next month, but since O2 decided to immediately close customers MyO2 upon disconnection, your only way of checking is to wait for the email or call customer service Guide: Coronavirus Community Help and Support 

The best number to call on appears to be 0800 587 4005

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 9

welshsteve76
  • 1554 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Sorry @MI5 Slightly changed my post now laughing

Thanks

Steve
Message 3 of 9

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@welshsteve76 

That is typical of O2 unfortunately and the wording does not surprise me.

Makes you feel vindicated in leaving eh?

As long as your direct debit is left in place, they will take the payment via that as normal, so no need to worry.

Keep an eye on your bank account for it going out at the normal time, and if it doesn't, call to pay it manually.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 9

welshsteve76
  • 1554 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@MI5  - It does a bit actually yeah 

Thanks for your advice thumbsup

Thanks

Steve
Message 5 of 9

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Best of luck mate slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 6 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

They need to change their tone @welshsteve76!

The fact you are leaving should not generate a letter of that type.

Good luck anyway xx

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 9

welshsteve76
  • 1554 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Thanks @Cleoriff  @MI5 

Thanks

Steve
Message 8 of 9

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9983 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions
@Cleoriff @welshsteve76

It's done in that tone, as some people , the minority will cancel their contract, cancel all direct debits and then wonder why a debt collector is chasing them, so complain to o2, so they word in such a way it makes a point...

Unfortunately no one personalises letters any more, its just sent off to a printers to mail out.
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 9 of 9