Did you mean: 

Call Spoofing

BlueCyber
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi guys,

I am just creating this topic so others can get their answer. 

I have been recently having missed phone calls from mobile numbers, I phoned them back out of politeness and they have all said I phoned them. Obviously, I have not called these numbers and my call history confirms this.

It seems scammers are trying to spoof numbers to get better results. Ofcom and other UK providers have written about these as these spoofing incidents are rapidly growing in 2021. Many UK providers encourage you to report the number, I am hoping these providers fully check as many innocent people could be targeted by this. I was told by O2 these scammers move on to other numbers after a while.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

SmellyWellies
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I'm getting the same thing, with the mobile numbers all the same as mine apart from the last three digits. I'm not answering and am mostly blocking the numbers, but not sure if this is the best forum to report it on.

Message 3 of 6

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions

@SmellyWellies 

There is little point in reporting them as the numbers are genuine, just not been placed from the genuine number.

Any check or trace on the number would just lead back to a genuine, innocent customer.

You would need the call routing information to gain any meaningful data to track down the actual caller.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 6

SmellyWellies
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks, @MI5 - so the only thing to do is not answer?

Message 5 of 6

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions

Yeah, I just ignore them @SmellyWellies 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 6