Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bolt ons

Cantab
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I cannot believe how difficult it is to cancel a bolt on. (In fact, it turns out you can’t cancel a  bolt-on.)

Is my journey of discovery unique?
I simply wanted to add one 4Gb bolt-on via the app. I selected 4Gb and paid but the screen which popped up immediately suggested I’d bought only 100mb for £3.50. Ok, I chose  4Gb again and paid. Uh-oh, the same screen again indicating I’d bought another 100mb. Of course, it turned out I had indeed bought 4Gb … twice! There’s something not quite kosher there. Why doesn’t the buyer receive a clear receipt on completing the purchase?

Now begins the 2-hour journey of discovery trying to find out how exactly one cancels a bolt-on. (Spoiler: you can’t). The O2 website took me into a series of dead-ends where the words “cancel” and “bolt-on” never appeared in the same sentence. (The words “buy” and “bolt-ons” were however everywhere.) Then, almost by chance, there it was: call 202. I did, and was presented with three choices, none of which concerned cancelling a bolt-on. The search continued and eventually resulted in a pop-up QR code which, it promised, would take me to an assistant.

I clicked on the QR code, waited, and 45 minutes later found myself typing with what appeared to be a real person.

She started by telling me that she wasn’t allowed to cancel a bolt-on! Are there any lawyers reading this? Does this refusal to refund actually comply with UK consumer law? I doubt it.

Long story short, the assistant didn’t (“couldn’t”) cancel the unwanted second bolt-on but came up with a reasonable compromise.

I am less than impressed with the customer service. Cancelling bolt-ons should be possible and should be a simple process. After all, buying them takes only seconds.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

pgn
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 38201 Posts
  • 240 Topics
  • 1729 Solutions

@Cantab - this guide, put together to help during COVID Lockdown, explicitly lists what you can do off your own bat, including adding/buying a bolt-on, and what you can't - viz, removing a bolt on needs a call to CS: Guide: Coronavirus Community Help and Support 

Since then, O2 has upgraded a back-end billing system to something called 360, and some aspects have changed in this regard, as you can see in your MyO2 now, but many removals still require O2 assistance.

1000023322.png

As this post is tagged onto an older thread, I'll flag it for a move to TechSupport.

Good luck!

Message 2 of 4

Sazzer
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Literally the issue that brought me here. It turns out that O2 decided to add my two 4GB bolt ons to a different number on my account - a tablet that is sitting safely at home, not my actual mobile that I'm struggling to use on holiday. Now I've had to buy another for my phone and there doesn't seem to be any way of cancelling the others without wasting even more hours of my holiday. Grrr!

Message 3 of 4

Oxonian
Level 33: Firestarter
  • 8954 Posts
  • 202 Topics
  • 26 Solutions

@Sazzer 

You need to contact O2. Unfortunately, this is a customer to customer community so we cannot access your account or offer other direct help.

I suggest that you message O2 on social media :-

Facebook : https://o2uk.co/O2CFB

X (previously known as Twitter) : https://o2uk.co/O2CTW

Instagram : https://o2uk.co/O2CIG

The social media team are based in the UK and have a good reputation for solving problems.

A complete schedule of how to contact O2 is in :-

Guide: How to find help & contact O2 

Message 4 of 4