cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beware of O2Recycle (AKA Redeem Ltd) - Read Before Selling Them Your Phone!

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you are thinking about selling your phone to this company, think twice.

I received a quote from them for selling my iPhone 4S 32GB of £105, which I accepted. I sent my phone to them in the pre-paid packaging provided, but before I did so, I took photos of it at every angle, including with the display set to a white screen (to show up any defects).

The phone I sent them was perfect, having only been supplied by Apple eairlier this year as a replacement for a faulty one. I always use wallet-style cases so that the entire phone is protected, including the display. The phone has never been dropped and didn't have a scratch.

Here's where the fun bit starts.

A few days after sending the phone back I received a message from O2Recycle/Redeem Ltd claiming "Screen damage : Discoloured area on LCD (shading)" and offering me just £21.60 - 80% less!

I queried this and asked for photographic evidence, as I had sent a perfect handset to them. I also sent the photos that proved the handset was in perfect order.

I then received a reply from them with a different statement of damage and that Apple's advice is that it must have been dropped. They told me to 'Google it'. Of course I queried this and asked why are they are now stating something different and in any case, to offer 80% less would to me have indecated a screen damaged beyond repair - which was not the case, even if what they were stating were true. 

I also made them aware that I have over 20 years experience working in the high-tech sector, including having deploying and managing many thousands of mobile devices, including iOS devices. Their conflicting claims made no sense and they refused my requests for photographs.. I stated that if their claims were genuine, I would need to make a claim with the Royal Mail (I paid extra to upgrade to an insured service) and photographic evedence was essential for any subsequent claim.

I knew by this stage that this was some sort of scam and the fact that I found almost identical stories from their customers online only went to confirm my suspicions. When faced with the facts I had presented them with, including my photos, they suddenly upped their offer to 50% of what they had promised.

They tried strongarm tactics of saying I had 48 hours to accept, then 24 hours. I instead repeated my request for photographs before they sent my phone back. I insisted that I must have proof of their claims. They again refused this reasonable request.

At this point they decided to just ignore my further emails (there's a pattern of this if you search online). It wasn't until I warned them that my next emails would be to their owner, CEO and also to the CEO of O2 That they replied. I also made them aware that I knew that O2recycle/Redeem Ltd were in negotiations with O2 to renew their recycling contract.

They apologied for "the poor service I had received" and promised to send my phone back to me.

And guess what? I have received my phone back and there is not one sign of damage, just as when I had sent it to them!

This company is nothing other than crooked and O2 should seriously consider investigating them. I may even decide to contact Trading Standards, as no company should be allowed to behave in this way. At the very least it is uneffecal and at worse this could amount to an attempt of fraud or deception.

To add insult to injury, the price companies will pay me for my phone has now gone down during the time of this whole sorry episode.

Be warned!

Message 1 of 91
90 REPLIES 90

Cleoriff
  • 126417 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7558 Solutions

There could be many satisfied customers...but as we know they rarely come here to share good news wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 71 of 91

Anonymous
Not applicable

...it would be good indeed to have some statistics to gain perspective... but the main problem I have is that, when these issues are drawn to O2's attention, there seems to be no response to investigate and to validate the continued use of Redeem Ltd, and to test if they have reliable and trustworthy business practices. Is O2 happy to wear the same mantle as Redeem?

Message 72 of 91

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 94415 Posts
  • 611 Topics
  • 7033 Solutions

There has to be happy customers but bear in mind there are many who won't join the community to complain and many others who shrug their shoulders and accept a reduced offer.

Message 73 of 91

Anonymous
Not applicable

O2 Recycle strike again. Wife decided to upgrade and during her chat with O2, over the phone, she told them the back of the iphone was cracked and they told her it didn't matter. She sends it in and is offered half of the value. O2 don't care, simply hiding behind the 'price isn't guaranteed' excuse. 

At what point do we stop accepting these half truths and insist they ask more accurate questions or do what they suggest they are going to do. 

Utterly disgusted with O2 and will most likely leave after this disgraceful service.  

Message 74 of 91

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 94415 Posts
  • 611 Topics
  • 7033 Solutions

They get away with it because people swallow their disappointment and accept the lower offer. O2 should really have changed instead of granting them another contract. 

Message 75 of 91

Cleoriff
  • 126417 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7558 Solutions

I hope you asked for the phone back @Anonymous? A new back can be bought quite cheaply from Ebay...then you could sell the phone on there easily and get a much better price.....(or was it given to O2 as part of your new deal?)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 76 of 91

Anonymous
Not applicable
we will be, this only just happened.
Message 77 of 91

Cleoriff
  • 126417 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7558 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
we will be, this only just happened.

Good for you....Please keep us updated wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 78 of 91

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Hi @Anonymous, I'll tend to your PM when I can today.

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 79 of 91

Anonymous
Not applicable

A manager from o2 was supposed to phone back between 15.00 and 16.00 and hasn't so i'm told you can't escalate the complaint until you speak to a manager, who is always unavilable. 

Message 80 of 91