Did you mean: 

Are you an Eavesdropper?

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi everyone,

A recently added article on The Blue has some really interesting facts about eavesdropping on other people’s phone conversations:

• Over 80 per cent of Brits admit to eavesdropping on other people’s phone conversations while on a train or platform
  • Nearly 9 in 10 think that people have no reservations while talking on the phone in public
  • 60 per cent of Brits think people would benefit from some kind of etiquette guide when it comes to talking on the phone whilst using public transport

Do you agree? Do you regularly find yourself listening to other people's conversations? I'm sure we're all guilty of this at some point wink

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Toby    It is very hard to avoid hearing other people's calls on mobiles nowadays as they make little or no effort to keep their converstaions private.  Is it fair to call that eavesdropping? 

I very much doubt if etiquette guides would have any impact  - this sort of behavioural training needs to start in the home and at primary level education. 

Failing that, of course, we could try a ban on use of mobiles for voice calls in public places,  to sit alongside the ban on smoking.  Smiley Very Happy

Message 2 of 19

Poppysmum
Level 19: Quirky
  • 1332 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 7 Solutions

@Toby wrote:

Hi everyone,

A recently added article on The Blue has some really interesting facts about eavesdropping on other people’s phone conversations:

• Over 80 per cent of Brits admit to eavesdropping on other people’s phone conversations while on a train or platform
  • Nearly 9 in 10 think that people have no reservations while talking on the phone in public
  • 60 per cent of Brits think people would benefit from some kind of etiquette guide when it comes to talking on the phone whilst using public transport

Do you agree? Do you regularly find yourself listening to other people's conversations? I'm sure we're all guilty of this at some point wink

I am guilty of this sir .

Sometimes you cant help listening into other peoples conversations they talk that loud .

I admit when mum rings me i have to talk loud or she cant hear me so all bus , store etc i am in can hear me but mum says speak up i cant tell what you ae saying Crazy

Message 3 of 19

Cleoriff
  • 122969 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

I actually think some people WANT to be overheard!

I have often heard phone calls where 'business type people' are giving instructions and orders to the caller.

All the time with one eye on their listening public. It's as if they have a desire to let you know how important they are. I can hardly stop myself laughing Evil

It can never be called eavesdropping when people make no effort to keep their voices low.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 19

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23099 Posts
  • 1026 Topics
  • 3676 Solutions

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 19

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93250 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

You can't help listening to other people's conversations as they tend to shout when using a mobile phone for some reason, you can't call it eavesdropping.

The conversations I've heard in bars in Thailand when you have a Brit talking to a Thai girl would make your hair curl and all the customers and bar staff looking at each other and laughing. I learned so many things about the natural order of life in Thailand this way....:smileywink:

Message 6 of 19

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

The conversations I've heard in bars in Thailand when you have a Brit talking to a Thai girl would make your hair curl

I really want you to elaborate, but I'm not sure if I should ask grin

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 7 of 19

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93250 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

@Toby wrote:

@jonsie wrote:

The conversations I've heard in bars in Thailand when you have a Brit talking to a Thai girl would make your hair curl

I really want you to elaborate, but I'm not sure if I should ask grin

I think you get the drift @Toby most of it is 'business' related  LOL

Message 8 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

I know I probably should not be annoyed by other people's mobile conversations but one thing that really does set my blood pressure on an upward trend is when I am in a supermarket and some guy is doing the shopping but needs to call home for advice.  "Hi honey.  You know you said get the 500g size of baked beans  - they've only got the 200g size  - will I bring 2?"    etc etc.  CrazyCrazy

Message 9 of 19

Poppysmum
  • 1332 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 7 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I know I probably should not be annoyed by other people's mobile conversations but one thing that really does set my blood pressure on an upward trend is when I am in a supermarket and some guy is doing the shopping but needs to call home for advice.  "Hi honey.  You know you said get the 500g size of baked beans  - they've only got the 200g size  - will I bring 2?"    etc etc.  CrazyCrazy

Whistle I can relate to this . On the odd occasions mum wants something from supermarket and they havent got exactly what she asked for i have known to ring her (waits over 5 mins for her to answer phone) then another 10 mins explaining what she asked for and whats on shelf and all the time i am thinking why o why didnt they have what she asked for. Lo and behold if i take wrong thing thats why i ring her wink 

Message 10 of 19